Greetings from So. Cal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HermosaGuy

First of all, thanks for all the help. The wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing and has already helped me a lot.

I got interested in pen turning a few months ago when I was looking for a new hobby. I had given up on photography when cameras went digital (& I lost all my free time when my kids came along) and have always appreciated the art work of fine pen making. Of course, now having invested $$ in woodworking equipment, I find out that I have to go back to digital macrophotography so that I can properly document the fruits of my labor. Argh! If I'd only known.

Attached is a recent effort, photographed on a foggy day using gravel being stored in my wheelbarrow as a background.

Regardless, thanks for the help and the inspiration.

Don

Attachments

• DSC01727l.jpg
    DSC01727l.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Welcome! I grew up in Pedro and used to go surfing at Torrance, Hermosa, Haggertys, all those places. I really miss all those days, OOOOHHHHH so long ago!:biggrin:

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the forum. The So Cal chapter is having a meeting at Denny's in Ontario this Saturday if you can make it. Check out the details in the local chapter forum for "Greater La/So Cal"

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Don, great looking pen!

I am posting links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. You are well ahead of the game and most of this, but I am including it just in case it helps in some way. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

HermosaGuy

All,

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm currently just finishing my pens with Behlen's woodturners finish per the Barry Gross technique. I know I'll have to move up to a CA finish to play with the big boys (& girls).
Don

Rollerbob

Don, welcome from Texas. As Dale said, check out the SoCal chapter. Great bunch of folks that could help you with the CA finish!!

Top Bottom