Got some Holly for Free

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Holly looks like faux ivory. Beautiful light cream color when finished with CA.

I picked up some holly this past weekend when I was in Alexandria, LA. Alex is the home of my youngest daughter's fiance. We went out to eat for lunch on Saturday and in driving around the block, a man was cutting down a small holly tree. I was with a group in a van so I could not stop.

Soon to be son in law went back with me late Saturday afternoon and I got two 16 in long logs about 6 inches in diameter. The rest was too long to fit in the car. I was happy with the two 16 in logs.

Got home late last night; cut some into 1X1X16 this morning and microwaved them. Boy do they warp and shrink a lot.

I tried them on slimline kit. I was more or less experimenting to see how it looked finished. Like Lou (D C Bluesman) I was "just experimenting". Unlike Lou, I didn't carry it through to make it look decent like he does his experimtents.

The bottom is proud considerably. I had two different size bushing on the madrell. I was not concerned about looks as much as the color and finish. While not an excellent finish or even real good, it does show me how well the Holly turns and looks.

The whole point of this pen was to test the color of Holy in a finished situation.

I am about to turn a pen for the wedding and they wanted holly or ivory. They will get Holly that looks like ivory and it will be special because of where it originated.

Straight CA finish!

Image Insert:
200641105657_Holly%20blue%202%20.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Well, Hank, it had to happen sooner or later. We disagree. I think that's a lovely pen. In fact, it would look real nice in my display case at work! If it's "too proud", knock that sucker apart and turn it down a touch. You've already proved you can do a great CA finish, so just do it again! [8D]

nice finish. Just practice your disassembly process, now, and turn the pen to the correct diameter....it will be worth the trouble from the looks of the photo. Never scrap a pen if it can be corrected. I've scrapped many, but saved more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom