Go big or go home!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I made these platters as a special order for one of our Master Chiefs at work. They are 21" across, and easily the biggest things I've turned so far. I posted a picture of the Master Chief holding them as a size comparison. He is 6'6" tall. Both are made from african mahogony and are finished with Waterlox.
The first pic shows them leaning up against a blanket chest I recently finished.

20061214185647_PC130003.jpg

20061214185733_PC140005.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Dave,
Awesome work. I can't wait to start "bowl" turning. I will start much smaller, using my baracuda 2 scroll chuck. I don't trust myself doing the tape thing, to a baseplate, or whatever you call that thing.

That wood wouldn't have done much for pens, but it's awesome in these platters.
Rob

woodmarc

Those are some rather LARGE pieces. Where on earth did you find such large pieces of Mahogony. The biggest stuf we have around here is about 18". The finish is excellent. Waterlox is some great stuff.

AN AIRDALE AHHHHH!!!!

My last Command was FACSFAC VACAPES at NAS Oceana. I spent a lot of time tied up to pier 12 in Norfolk. Did some time on the Nimitz. Hence move "love" of airdales....

Woodnknots

Originally posted by woodmarc
<br />Those are some rather LARGE pieces. Where on earth did you find such large pieces of Mahogony. The biggest stuf we have around here is about 18". The finish is excellent. Waterlox is some great stuff.

A
I called around alot. I tried woodcraft, as my first choice was Bubinga. They had a 24" wide piece that would have fit the bill nicely, but by the time my customer had the money, it was sold. I called Yukon lumber, and they had this piece, 7ft long, 22" wide. It was expensive, but I wasn't paying for it. I didn't get anywhere near what these were worth, but it was one of those things where I wanted to see if I could do it, and He paid for the wood, and a little more, so I made some money, just not much.

Thanks for all the great responses!!

thetalbott4

That guy has a huge set of...platters! It's a darn good thing there was no decorative spot in the center of each platter or that would have been a risky picture. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom