Funky Purpleheart Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

A Christmas present for our hairdresser. I thought it would be fun to do something funky for her, given her line of work. The CA finish came out OK, but not great. A coat of TSW after this pic helped make the finish shine more. The inconsistent purple color comes from the fact that I used EEE to heat it up, rather than heating it in the oven as I've done before. I kind of like the color changes, and after I started, I thought about next time trying for an "anodized" look, with a neat color variation from light to dark.

The joint was well hidden while turning, but the blanks stuck together (CA finish) and I had to part them, with a result that wasn't quite as nice as I had hoped. Still looks OK, but not as neat as it did on the lathe.

Comments/critiques/etc. are welcome, as always.

20051211211821_05-12%20Purpleheart%20-%20small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Dan, Purpleheart turns dark purple when heated. You can also heat it in an oven for a while to get the same result, but I forgot to heat it before I started turning it!

Thanks for the honks!

denphillips2

What is EEE?
Tell me more about heating it? I have a purple heart in the lathe right now, and want to turn it darker.
What temp in the oven, and how long?
Thanks!!!!

JimGo

EEE is a friction polish that contains fine particulate matter that can "sand" the wood (search for product code PKSWEEEAW at http://www.pennstateind.com ). It's great when you only have limited access to sandpaper. However, it tends to get really hot when used. Which makes it a god candidate for changing the color of purpleheart, since purpleheart changes color when exposed to the sun and when heated.

You can also bake it in the oven at about 300 degrees. Watch it CLOSELY though...the color change kicks in pretty quickly (about 5 minutes after it's in the oven). Too long, and it will burn, so, like I said, watch it carefully!!!! I don't take credit for this - it was suggested by DCBluesMan, and I've done it successfully twice (I use the toaster oven). I heat it in the toaster oven before drilling and gluing; I'm afraid of how the glue and the tube will respond to the temperature change (especially since they have different rates of expansion at the same temperature, which might cause the purpleheart to crack).

Good luck!

denphillips2

Thanks Jim,
I am new to the forum, and somewhat new to pen turning. Just trying to finish up some Christmas presents. I know...... I took some leather, and burnished it with that like CPDesigns did. Working on the finish now, but the color came out great!

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom