Free Instructional DVD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

Somebody on the WorkshopBuzz General WW forum directed my attention to Pen State Industries free pen making DVD offer. I just finished ordering it online at
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchan...tore_Code=PSI&Product_Code=DVD&Category_Code=

It seemed like a good place to start for a green horn rookie like me to get a feeling of what is involved with pen turning and may help me with understanding some of the abbreviations I see posted here while browsing the various discussions.

I am curious as to how many here have received this DVD and your opinions of it. The $00.00 price sure is right

One small problem ... I must be in the dark ages because I still do not have a DVD player. [:I]
Guess I'm off to bargain hunting DVD players before I even buy a mini lathe.;)
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

William,
I received the DVD and it is actually pretty good. It was kind of a repeate for me as I took a pen turning class at a local Woodcraft store. This was the bomb. For $45.00, i got to make a slimline pen and pencil set. The class was about 3 hours long and very helpful.
Back to the DVD. Like I said it is very helpful. It has a few good tips and it is very detailed. The nice thing about the DVD as opposed to the class, is you can play it over and over again and again. Hope I helped.

Doghouse

I viewed the same dvd. It is interesting. A word of caution, some of the PSI kits are loose and will not hold well. If you can "dry fit" all the pieces w/o pressing them in, use a pipe/tubing cutter and make a <b>light</b> set of rings to hold everything together.

pecartus

William,

The DVD is not bad and it does give you some helpful hints, but I like to keep reference materials close at hand. So what I did when learning this art (I am still learning) I went to the public library and checked out books on making pens (the library here had quite a few) after looking through them and reading the ones I thought would be the most helpful, I went to the local Woodcrafter Store and purchased them. They are in arms lenght from me and are used quite regularly and the pages most used are earmarked. Articles and tips picked from the talented pen turners here are printed off this site and have been put into a notebook next to the books I use, so I guess I have a small library in my Wood Shop, but it is very handy to have.

debturnswood

Thanks for the link. I buy all PSI stuff, but use a middle man, and never take time to go to the web site (too busy making pens!) Any bit of info is always a plus in my book. Good luck to you, and thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom