• Great Idea - just might create world peace

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Stupid Idea - the suggester must be removed from the gene pool immediately

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

builtbybill

Hello,

There have been a few threads lately about suggestions about evolving the forum to keep up with current trends. I fully agree that the forum MUST evolve in order to stay current, and relevant, especially at the rate forums grow. What worked 10 years ago, with 500 members WILL NOT work now with 20k member (fictitious numbers just used to make a point, not specific to this forum). The problem is how to manage and govern the evolvement, and I have a suggestion, as previously posted in a heated discussion about this. Do not know if it will work but here it is anyway:

Here is an idea, probably stupid, what if there was a meeting each year, by the moderators and other admins, about making changes to the forum. Here is my vision of how it would work:

1. A new thread would be started in June asking for suggestions to forum improvements.

2. After 30 days worth of suggestions a poll would be created, using the suggestions in this thread, asking for your choice for the top 3 improvements you would like discussed by the admin team.

3. After the poll runs for 30 days the top 3 from the poll will get discussed by the admin team for inclusion into the forum next year. You can even set a policy that at least one of these must be included next year, but all can be if the team can support.

This would in fact guarantee growth and actually give us participants at least some say in the process.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

I was just playing with the Poll so please do not take offense to the options, just trying to have some fun.

The choices are serious though, I really am interested in whether this is a good idea or not.

Thanks,

Bill

KenV

This is where goals and mission become important ---

I sense there are multiple goals, and there is not a common understanding of the mission for this collection of people --

builtbybill

Well, based on early voting I guess it is a good thing my wife had me fixed since about 33% think I should be removed from the gene pool!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont know about the other voters but I was going to vote for The Gene pool option also.
Not because I was serious but because I could.

Smitty37

Hmmmm.....world peace? I wouldn't be sure what that is and without getting political which is against the rules no one can even tell me. Wait long enough and the gene pool will take care of itself - eventually we are all removed from that...or at least stopped from adding to it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Can we vote to remove someone else from the gene pool? That might be more fun.

As for the question... I think the idea is ok, but might be a bit to formal whats needed here... MOST of the actual changes really only need Jeffs approval. He might bounce things of some of the other managers and mods if its a significant change... But overall, why make it an annual thing...

Got a good idea, suggest it.. If it gets enough good comments and its possible, Jeff may do it at any time.

My only suggestion.. If you have a software type change, do a little research - see if its even possible under vBulletin before trying to push for it.

builtbybill

As for the question... I think the idea is ok, but might be a bit to formal whats needed here... MOST of the actual changes really only need Jeffs approval. He might bounce things of some of the other managers and mods if its a significant change... But overall, why make it an annual thing...

Got a good idea, suggest it.. If it gets enough good comments and its possible, Jeff may do it at any time.

My only suggestion.. If you have a software type change, do a little research - see if its even possible under vBulletin before trying to push for it.

How about we upgrade to the new version of vBulletin?

Spanx

If he opens his house for the general public to enjoy he might expect to hear a suggestion or two.It is his house though and he could choose to disregard said suggestions.No reason to be offended either way.I don't think anyone is talking about a remodel,a pool table might be nice though.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd love to, Bill. Perhaps you know what's involved. I've done three test upgrades in the last year and it's not pretty.

We have a highly customized, very modded vB instance. Although I promised myself that I would not, because as you know it makes upgrading very difficult, I have constantly made template mods and added and tweaked code to provide features folks have asked for. We might seem behind the times, but as you may be aware, for the same reasons we're still on 3.7, vbulletin.org is on 3.6.

What specific latest vB features are you looking for?

CREID

I'd love to, Bill. Perhaps you know what's involved. I've done three test upgrades in the last year and it's not pretty.

We have a highly customized, very modded vB instance. Although I promised myself that I would not, because as you know it makes upgrading very difficult, I have constantly made template mods and added and tweaked code to provide features folks have asked for. We might seem behind the times, but as you may be aware, for the same reasons we're still on 3.7, vbulletin.org is on 3.6.

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but the Woodcarving Illustrated forum updated their forum and the result was so horrible they may never recover.
Curt

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but the Woodcarving Illustrated forum updated their forum and the result was so horrible they may never recover.
Curt
It's a huge, very time-consuming undertaking. We changed from a different forum software 6 years ago and I had to take a week off work to sort it all out. It'll happen here eventually, but only when I feel it will be successful.

TonyL

Evolving is a great idea - for almost anything (and I am an Creationist LOL). I am not sure how much of a catalyst is needed to advance the site; I think it will evolve as need and resources allow. Did you have specific ideas in mind? Maybe, it is something that we can share responsibility for and reduce the burden on Jeff (not that it is your intention or anyone's to burden Jeff). Maybe if here is something we really want (and it serves the mission), we can raise donations to achieve the changes/advancements. I don't have any ideas in mind. I love the sharing of ideas, the access to opinion and experience, and the fellowship (and I am a NYer LOL!).

Thanks for presenting the poll.

builtbybill

This comment was just made, jokingly, at the recommendation to make sure our change requests are compatible with vBulletin. This was not implying that an upgrade was needed.

As far as the rest of this thread, the only reason I started it is because there is another thread going on, that is becoming quite heated at times, about how the forum needs to evolve as the trends in our art change. There are discussions about various changes that are being recommended that are meeting various obstacles, whether it be other users, administrators or software limitations. I just though that maybe we could have a system in place that would allow all of us the determine what the most needed/wanted changes might be so that a focus group might be able to be assembled to try and make them happen. As far as the poll goes that was just me playing around with polls, trying to learn more about how they work.

Thanks, and sorry if this is creating any confusion and/or animosity.

Hope you all have a great weekend, since I am stuck at work all weekend making insulin pens.

Bill

builtbybill

Hope you all have a great weekend, since I am stuck at work all weekend making insulin pens.

Bill
Well...at least they are pens. Of course (as they say) without a picture it never really happened!!! This could be your chance to try out some of the photo tips Jeff posted.

Ed

No where near as much fun to make, but we can make about $13M worth per day. Can't do that on my Rikon!

Top Bottom