Fish...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon-wx5nco

I have seen Snake Skin casting blanks and all sorts of other skins and feathers. Has anyone cast fish scales? I know this sounds odd, but I had a request for a Sierra made with Fish Scales.....
Jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aweiss44

guys have done fish skin before. mesquite man did a few real nice ones. the problem is you have to have fish with small scales apparently.

robutacion

Well... actually, here in Australia up in the Northern Territory, they produce/process Barramundi (fish) skin as the US does with snake skin. From shoes to handbags, and many other items...!

I was in one of those tanneries many years ago, looking for crocodile tanned skin which they do by the hundreds (from crocodile farms), when I discover that they would/were also tanning Barramundi skins. The processes are very slow and not the most pleasant thing to do or watch but the final results are just spectacular.

If I was closer I could try to get some of that skin out of the tannery for you, I don't don't and I would find it near impossible to find anyone selling just the tanned skin as its value is very high, particularly when the hight end shoe industry claims most of what is produced...!

I may be wrong, and is possible since I was up north (11 years ago) that the tanning industry has developed a higher scale and distribution production, a Google search on Barramundi skin should produce some results...!

PS: A pen made out of that stuff would worth a bit...!:wink:

Cheers
George

bruce119

catfish is a good skin also trout would be another. I haven't done it came close I was going to use a catfish. They are two species with little (trout) to no (catfish) scales.

Good luck

so many ideas so little time

ribanett

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yep, did this pen a few years ago. It is a Longnose Gar skin on one end and the tail on the other. Made it for a good friend that got me into bowfishing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gar1.jpg
    Gar1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 2,026

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Oh yeah, tried catfish skin but it was very boring and nondescript. Also tried Plecostomus belly skin but it did not work out very well.

What the heck is a plecostomus?

THIS is a plecostomus. This is actually a bowfishing world record size pleco. All I have to do is send in the paperwork! It beast the current record by 2 #!

attachment.php

Pleco's are the algae eaters you find in aquariums. Folks dump them in the rivers and around here, they reproduce and wreck havoc on our lakes. They have no natural predators once they get a little bigger and bowfishermen are the only real means of control.

Attachments

• Record Pleco.jpg
    Record Pleco.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 15,493

Kev

Well... actually, here in Australia up in the Northern Territory, they produce/process Barramundi (fish) skin as the US does with snake skin. From shoes to handbags, and many other items...!

I was in one of those tanneries many years ago, looking for crocodile tanned skin which they do by the hundreds (from crocodile farms), when I discover that they would/were also tanning Barramundi skins. The processes are very slow and not the most pleasant thing to do or watch but the final results are just spectacular.

If I was closer I could try to get some of that skin out of the tannery for you, I don't don't and I would find it near impossible to find anyone selling just the tanned skin as its value is very high, particularly when the hight end shoe industry claims most of what is produced...!

I may be wrong, and is possible since I was up north (11 years ago) that the tanning industry has developed a higher scale and distribution production, a Google search on Barramundi skin should produce some results...!

PS: A pen made out of that stuff would worth a bit...!:wink:

Cheers
George

I actually purchased two from this place earlier this year...

http://www.mermaidleather.com.au/

Kept one for myself and sent one to gofer.... Also managed to pick up a couple of pieces of leather for myself to try and make a pen from, unlike others who attempt to cast it in reisin, all thest guys do is get some craft glue, and roll the leather onto the tube..

There is a nack to doing this, and I was given a demonstration.. but I think I will be taking my time before I attempt one

Kev

bruce119

Curtis Nice Pleco. I would see a bunch of them here in Florida when SCUBA diving the Peace River for fossils I am also a fossil/rock hound and got a house full of sharks teeth.

louie68

Curtis must say very nice fish pen, i like to try casting fish leather skin but my question is what is the best way to apply it to the brass tube (glued)?
thanks louie

Top Bottom