first successful kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brianp

brianp

It is aluminum and pvc, so it is very light and comfortable to write with. I learned a lot while making this pen and i cant wait to make another kitless. It uses a rollerball refil, the aluminum on the end unscrews to refil the pen. I didnt completely buff or shine the aluminum to keep a satin look because I think polished aluminum is slippery to hold and since the pen is for my personal use I did what I prefer.

I would love to hear your likes, dislikes and suggestions. Ive learned a lot from this forum and would love to hear your opinions.

Attachments

• 1200.jpg
    1200.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 426
  • 1200-2.jpg
    1200-2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 1200-3.jpg
    1200-3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gr8danish

VERY NICE... Especially for your first kitless attempt!!!

How did you make the pen clip? The only thing preventing me from being %100 kit-less at this point are the clips... I've been researching having someone cast custom silver clips for me, but I like the simplicity of yours. Did you just cut it out of sheet aluminum and bend it, or is it stamped?

Skye

Very, very, very cool pen you have there!

Likes: Obviously the fit is great for the most part, the colors work well together, the finial is a great touch. Like the transition from lower to upper barrel. Looks like a nice length even without the cap posted which is rare.

Nits: There look of the fit towards the cap where the pvc meets the aluminum looks slightly rough.

The worst: That I can't make this. Makes me jealous... slightly agitated... sort of hollow inside.

Great job man!

ldb2000

Ya did good !!! Clean lines and a good design . Not much to dislike about it . You do realize that you have opened Pandora's box though . Now you gotta do it again and improve what YOU didn't like about it , then do it again and .....

Have fun and good luck

brianp

the clip was made with a 1/2"x1/8" aluminum bar that i got at home depot, I drilled the hole, then cut it on the band saw with a blade made for metal and then shaped it with a file. It took a while and wouldnt be practical if you had to make a lot of them, but it was the only way I knew of to do it. The clip is one of the things i hope to improve on.

That connection with the pvc and aluminum is one of the mistakes, there isnt a gap but you can see the epoxy, but that will hopefully be avoided next time.

Pandora's box, oh how i have desired it, and finaly it is open. Only i hope opening it this time results in nice pens rather than death and sickness for the whole world...

workinforwood

Well done Brian! That's a pen that shows real promise..a first time kitless pen to be super proud of. yes, it has issues, like the epoxy glue joint and the threads are rather coarse, but those are minor issues to be worked out later. I like using aluminum to make pens, and the poop pipe actually compliments with the metal really well. I like the over all shape design of the pen and the proportions are nice too. That clip looks like it was some major work and it also is a real compliment to the pen. You did super!

nava1uni

Your pen is really nice. I do like the clip and the two materials together. I think that the PVC would look nicer without the step, as to my eye it makes it look unbalanced. I admire your working so hard to make a kit less pen. I have botched several, but no pain, no gain. Keep up your working on it.

Top Bottom