First segmented pen....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

the only problem is I can't find the other segments![:0]:([xx(]:D This is the pen that Mr. Murphy hated. It was beautiful violet curly poplar black from BB with my first pearl satin kit. You can see the center trim ring there (sorry for the poor photo) that casued it all. BB says that the Taiwan factory sent a bunch of these pearl satin kits with the wrong ring. The center hole is way too small to slide over the transmission. I didn't know until it was all assembled. I undid the screw cap and punched out the ring, grabbed another ring from another kit and then Mr. Murphy pressed the thing back together before replacing the screw cap so the threaded tube section was shoved/crammed flush into the top tube. The efforts you see are my frustrations in trying to remove the tube.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

I will someday tackle a true segmented pen when he has left my shop. Lesson......look closeley at the parts before assembling.

segmented.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

Murphy has left the building?? Just a shame, was a nice combination of material and kit. Hope to see this one get saved.

jwoodwright

There are many "saves" lately. Mr. Murphy and Murphy-San (Taiwan) have been quite busy...

Sit it down, relax, in a week pick it back up and as suggested, use a nice material to finish it... [:)]

dougle40

Too bad Shane , that promised to be a very nice looking pen but I'm sure that you'll find a way to save it . I had the same problem with those kits only in gold . The replacement parts are supposed to be on their way .

patrick_1853

This, may be a stupid question, or I may not have read your post close enough (its late after all). Have you tried screwing it together with the bottom threaded section (just like if you were assembling the pen) and pulling like crazy? I can usually get the top half of the twist mechanism out of the upper tube, even on a completely finished pen just by pulling straight down on the lower half of the pen(the longer tube) without unthreading it of course. Maybe I missed something in your post or maybe I have been misassembling these all along, but I can always get them apart,

Patrick

G

If you have any 8 mm pen kit parts You can repalce the top with an 8mm tube blank.
use only enogh 8mm tube to slide over the "friction fit portion" of teh transmission.
The lower portion of the blank will slide to the ring with no tube in the bottom portion of the blank.
If you have a kit with an 8mm stud and cap suck as woodcrafts MAmerican Classic you could use that stud and clip.
Cut of the lower portion of the exposed barss tube.
The pen will be a bit shorter but it will work.
It will help if you can find a real wide clip.

woodscavenger

Good info. I may give it a try. I have a couple of click pen kits I am going to try and return to Woodcraft that I think are 8mm. If they don't take it back I may have some spare parts to play with. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom