First Pen (kit)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dcameraman

dcameraman

This is my first pen. It's an Executive from CSUSA.

I used some scrap walnut that I had laying around.

I learned quite a bit from this one. First, I don't need to cut 1" blanks. I had no idea that the wood was so thin on the pen. Second, it's gonna take me a while to figure out what finish works for me. There are tons of opinions out there, and I get to wade through them, picking and choosing what makes sense to me based on my limited experience.

Anyway, the finish isn't great. The joints aren't perfect.

But I thinks that I learned something.
a%3E

Thanks for looking.
Josh

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Josh, that a real good start. I know my first pen didnt' look that good. A little tip on the photography: The moss and rock look cool but they detract from your pen. Make your pen the focal point of the picture. There are lots of good tips on differnt photo setups in the photography forum.

Last edited:

jcm71

Wish my first pen looked that good. Well done. +1 on the moss and the rocks. Look cool, but take away from the pen.

denso24

looks real good to me. just remember if you ca finish don't get it in you eyes. i glued my left eye shut last night. not fun but funny now that i can see again.

edicehouse

Looks like a good fit, and everything. I think a nice CA finish would have that pen pop. There are plenty of videos on youtube about it

Gilrock

Great job for your first pen...fun wasn't it...

looks real good to me. just remember if you ca finish don't get it in you eyes. i glued my left eye shut last night. not fun but funny now that i can see again.

So next time the safety glasses will stay on right? :)

edicehouse

You say not funny but why did I chuckle (as I remember the taste of CA glue)?

denso24

yes safety is a must i had just taken them off for a sec but that was all it took. thankfully i had a friend close by to witness it and laugh at me. i know i will never live it down.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Read, watch and try out your own way to the finish you are happy with. I've tried all kinds of finishes and while I have a general method for finishing my pens, I don't always use the same finish on every pen.

Other than working on your finish, I think that is a really good looking pen! I like walnut and gold. Gives a classy look. My first certainly didn't look that good.

booney0717

I like it. I agree with every body else about the ca finish. I took me a while to get it right but it was worth the frustrations. I watched a lot of youtube videos and every one was different. I took tips from each and finaly found a method that worked. Dont worrie i'm still working on my photo's too. You did a great job!

Scry

Edit: didn't notice the age, I had my filter set on newest-oldest, didn't think it would give me a thread from 2012.... woops

Last edited:
Top Bottom