first natural edge bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leatherjunkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

this is my first natural edge bowl. the wood is red mallee burl from woodturningz.
I sprayed polyurthane finish on it. no food will come into contact with it as it will be used for paperclips.
sorry about the picture being dark.

200752961127_naturaledge.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Looks really good.[8D]

I have started taking pictures outside, so they are brighter than normal.

Unless you have a photo tent and good lighting, it's a struggle to get a good pic.

That said the weather in Scotland sometimes makes it hard to even get a good outside photo![:eek:)]

JimGo

Nice bowl, but I'm a little confused bout how you'll write with it. That looks like the writing tip to a slimline, but I don't see a line in the bowl to twist it so you can extend the refill. Am I missing something?

Just kidding - yes, I realize you're using the pen to prop up the bowl. Nice job! Can't wait to see #'s 2-10!

leatherjunkie

thanks for the coments.

I took the picture last nite at 1130 pm.
it was a last min picture. I handed the bowl to my friend this morning.

It sure was a pain to sand the inside due to the edge not being even across. I busted my knuckles a few times on the edge.

the bowl is a little thicker than I wanted it to be. there is a small inclusion on one side and i did not want a hole completely through.
so thats why the bowl is thick.

Fred

Have you looked at he Gwenever (spelling) available at most Woodcraft stores/ It has a nice handle and two different shaped pneumatic bulbs that would fit inside the bowl and 'save' your nuckles. The sanding job would be over in a minute or so. Then use the Beall round polishing balls and the finishing is over about as fast as you can imagine.

Good job on the bowl ... [:D]

Fred

Checked my Favorites list and found the URL to the sanding/polishing device I mentioned above ...

http://www.katools.com/guinevere.html. It;s kinda expensive, but I couldn't live without mine. I learned quickly to sand and/or polish with the lathe turning backwards. This helps keep the sanding cloth to stay on the little bulb. Also, don't over inflate the device either ... [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom