First Gentlemen - special gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C_Ludwigsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

Well, here is the Gentleman's set that I have been focusing on for a while. Platinum Fountain pen and Rollerball CSUSA Gentleman's pen set in Brown Mallee Burl from Lee Tree Woodworks. These are for my brother's 50th birthday on Tuesday. I also made a walnut desk display box with glass lid for his desk.

The pens are the first Gentleman's that I've made and the display box is a first as well. My brother is 10 years my senior and played a larger role in my upbringing than many brothers have to.

The finish is CA/BLO with TSW topcoat. Comments and critiques welcome.

P502_4S.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

That is a beautiful set, Chuck. The pen selection and wood are tops. I've been thinking of making a similar set for myself to use at my desk at work. I want to start using a fountain pen regularly as a learning experience. It won't hurt to have them prominently displayed either. [:)] Nice job on your pens. I am sure your brother will love them.

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks guys. I agree with you, Jim, about making one for myself/display. I ordered an extra one in case I messed up bad. Since these worked out, I'll probably do that.

Gregory, hit the 50 milestone and we'll talk [;)]

Gary

Chuck...a question - I have some brown mallee burl that I hope to turn soon. But mine is light brown in color rather than the color of yours. Did your's start out that way or is there that much variation from burl to burl.

C_Ludwigsen

Gary, I'm sure there is variation because I have had a piece darker than this and have some lighter. I picked the 2 closest pieces I had for the set. Don't forget, I use Boiled Linseed Oil on them before applying the CA, so that darkened and browned them up a touch.

Gerg, I hope the IAP and the 2 of us are still having these chats in 7 years. If we are, I would consider it an honor to make a pen for your 60th.

ryannmphs

Hey Chuck,

Glad I got to see those pens in person!! I just wish I coulda seen the box you made. BTW, you remember that my B-day is next month right? [;)]

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom