First cigar pens, and some other firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I finally got a chance to play this wekeend. First time cutting blanks myself, first time drilling them myself, and first cigar pens. These are the Big Samoans from WoodPenPro.com. Nice kit! From L to R, they are Cedar, Cocobolo, Mysterywood, Rosewood, and Cocobolo. All were finished by sanding through 400 grit with Abranet, Micromesh to 12000, EEE, Shellawax, and CA/BLO. I have one more that I worked on too, but I'm not happy with the finish. Unfortunately, it is a Valentine's day present for my wife! Thankfully, she's pretty understanding (especially as she reads this over my shoulder).

Comments?

DSCN2211a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Thanks! The rubber grip came as part of that kit. It also works well to hide where the Rosewood split about 1/2 way down the blank. :)

Gary

It looks like you had some worthwile shop time. The first three I like. The one on the right is not for me, but that's just my taste.

JimGo

Thanks Gary. I actually agree. The Big Samoans are a great kit. But, since I had a few extra slimline kits, and I was getting a little bored making slimlines, I thought I'd play a bit.

PenWorks

Jim, nice selction, I like the cocobolo and cedar, not sure on the grip thingy, I would have cut it off at the split and put another piece of wood or just cut a new bottom, and the last one is so funky, I like it. Nice work.

Anthony

JimGo

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. BTW, the mystery of the Mysterywood piece has apparently been resolved; looks like it was Walnut.

tipusnr

Nice pens. The rubber grip thing has me intrigued. I've never seen one supplied with a kit that the top didn't come flush with the wood or some sort of supplied band. Did you write that you slipped it over the TOP of the wood? Generally they fit on the brass tube.

Interesting!

JimGo

Tipusnr - that was my mistake. I had two slimline kits, one with the rubber thing, and one without. I never noticed that they required different bushings! I "accidentally" grabbed the centerband for the kit with the rubber grip, and noticed last night that it was MUCH thicker than the other slimline kit; now I know that it was supposed to look different!

Mik - I had hoped for an even higher gloss finish than what I got. I have more of a matte finish. The matte finish looks great, if you want the wood to look natural; however, after turning a few natural looking pens, I wanted to try to get one with a higher gloss.

opfoto

Nice job on all the pens, tho the cushion grip doesn't work for me as it is shown. Overall... a very productive weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom