First Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John Carr

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Carr

30-06 case with Bocote upper barrel. Bocote is finished with Hut Crystal Coat and TSW. Still haven't figured out what to put on the brass. Maybe Renaissance Wax?

2005316221550_601-0091-034fp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by John Carr
<br />"Dark Side" ???

John, whatever it means, it is a compliment. Unlike me, Anthony doesn't have a mean bone in his body[:)] Awesome pen, and the Bocote is a perfect wood to accent the cartridge. Now, I am going to shamelessly copy your work and not tell my unsuspecting customers where I got the idea! [:0]

Gary Max

Dark Side

Making pens that are out of the norm.
People will start asking you ---What's next.
You will start saying things like---You all ain't seem this before

KKingery

Just a thought (having never done a cartridge pen) - what about the old product called "Brasso"? Is'nt that used to clean, shine brass & etc?? (Nice job on the pen also!)

PenWorks

Okay, sorry for the bad pun [:D] I can't be the only Star Wars junkie around here [:D] Stars Wars.....The Dark Side.....Dark cap, unlike all the other antlers and bullets we have been seeing, your was different and nice looking. [;)] It was a compliment John [:p]

Now go and see Return of the Jedi, and you will get to know the FORCE[:D]

John Carr

Guys, don't get me wrong, I didn't take it as an insult. It's just that in my circle of friends, the "Dark Side" refers to someone who shoots black powder instead of smokeless, and that's not a bad thing. Then again, the 30-06 is definitely a smokeless powder cartridge. Hmmmm... a 45-70 could use black powder. That would really be a "Dark Side" cartridge pen. Have to build it with Cigar Pen hardware tho', as it's pretty fat.
At any rate, thanks for all the kind words. Since I built that one this morning, I've done two more, both using .308 cases. They look a bit stubby to me.

From top to bottom:
Original 30-06 & Bocote, .308 & Peruvian Walnut, .308 and Cocobolo with Purpleheart CB, all on Slimline kits.

200531722952_IMG_0148fp.jpg
<br />

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
A ripple in the force..?We may have to find Princess Lea again to straighten things out [:)]

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Okay, sorry for the bad pun [:D] I can't be the only Star Wars junkie around here [:D] Stars Wars.....The Dark Side.....Dark cap, unlike all the other antlers and bullets we have been seeing, your was different and nice looking. [;)] It was a compliment John [:p]

Now go and see Return of the Jedi, and you will get to know the FORCE[:D]

Kevin M

Great pens!!! Now a question. How did you drill out the primer pocket? I tried drilling a 357 casing just to see what it takes and found that I could not hold the casing from spinning, just keep sticking the bit?!

John Carr

Kevin, I punched out the spent primer, clamped the case in a pen vise on the drill press, and drilled slowly - abround 800 RPM. Got some way cool curly brass ribbons.

Tom McMillan

Nice looking pens John!!! I tried Renaissance wax on my spiral brass and aluminum---and it doesn't seem to be lasting long (it's looking a little darker and kind of splotchy). I think lacquer would be better---I'm going to redo mine anyway, and will try lacquer but may be awhile before I get to it.

PenWorks

Nice additions to the first one John, I think the bocote really blends in well with this style pen. Not that I'm knocking anyone's work, but I still think some of these would look better if there was no clip put on. "these" meaning others that have made them and not yours imparticular.
Bullets just don't have clips.

May the Force be with you.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Nice additions to the first one John, I think the bocote really blends in well with this style pen. Not that I'm knocking anyone's work, but I still think some of these would look better if there was no clip put on. "these" meaning others that have made them and not yours imparticular.
Bullets just don't have clips.

May the Force be with you.

Anthony,
Interesting point WRT clips. You got an idea bouncing around in my head.

I am trying really really hard not to cut loose with a string of Star Wars puns! [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom