First Bowl... Walnut BBQ Rescue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Went to a pig roast. They were using walnut for the fire. Seems that the guy bought a 6 pack for another guy at a trophy mfg. company and got some wood in exchange. They throw away all the figured walnut as it is not what they want for their plaques. So here they are BURNING a pile 3 feet high of primo figured walnut cutoffs.

I loaded my motorcycle saddlebags, my Biker Bag 20" x 12" tube and strapped a box on the back of the bike full of walnut. Came back with the truck to get the rest. At least what I was able to scrounge.

So I grabbed apiece and decided to make a bowl. Never made one before but just how hard can it be I thought. Well... it wasn't easy but it was fun.

I put a couple of coats of tung oil on it after sanding and that's about it. I used an Irish grind gouge for most of it. That was the fun part!

sCIMG5635.jpg

sCIMG5636.jpg

sCIMG5631.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Beautiful bowl!

Burning Walnut can be hazardous. It has some things in it that many people are allergic to.

Last edited:

broitblat

And the academy award for best use of firewood in a supporting role goes to...

Bree!

You obviously started with a nice piece of wood, but you did a beautiful job turning it into a bowl. Your first you say!?

-Barry

Bree

Beautiful bowl!

Burning Walnut can be hazardous. It has some things in it that many people are allergic to.

I tried to tell them that! Told them I was saving their lives by grabbing all the walnut I could carry!! LOL!
:party::party::party:

Bree

And the academy award for best use of firewood in a supporting role goes to...

Bree!

You obviously started with a nice piece of wood, but you did a beautiful job turning it into a bowl. Your first you say!?

-Barry

Yep it was my first bowl. I figured it was time to do something other than make pens. I had made some goblets in the past many years ago so like how hard could it be???

Well... after the first catch on the wing of the Irish grind gouge I realized that I really didn't know what the heck I was doing and watched a couple of videos. I still don't know what the heck I'm doing but I am good at storytelling to keep attention off the mistakes on the turnings!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Great find and sweet bowl. I went to a pig roast a while back and they were throwing PT lumber in the roaster, needless to say I passed on eating anything that came from the roaster and most people listened to me about avoiding it.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Gread job in general, and especially so for a first bowl! I hope you keep at it since you have a good feel for form already.

Top Bottom