First bowl attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

Well this is my first try at a bowl. I had many challenges. I do have a couple bowl scrapers, but my biggest challenge was being able to keep the straight tool rest close enough to the inside. An S shaped tool rest is in my near future I think. My dad had given me a box of cedar scraps about 1 month ago. This was from 3 pieces he had glued together. This bowl is pretty small being 2.5 inches wide and just about 2 inches deep. It is just under 9 inches in diameter. I did dry sanding from 220 grit up to 600. I then used HUT crystal coat and then HUT perfect polish wax bars to finish it. I cut off the bottom that was attached to the plate on the band saw and finished it the same way. I figured this will sit on my desk at work to toss little things into such as paperclips etc. Thanks for looking!

158811-438x.jpg
158812-438x.jpg
158813-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

WOW !! That's a beautiful bowl. Even more awesome enough that you did it for first try and without an S shaped tool rest ! Good job Todd , Doc

Kalai

Hi Todd, looks good to me, for your first bowl it looks great, I still have my first bowl but I don't like to show people, it is not like the bowls I make now, now you need to make a bunch more bowls. A true turner will keep turning and never get dizzy :)
Aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

Skye

Not bad at all for a first bowl! I like that catch mark on the inside, heheh, that's when you say "Oooooookay, maybe it's thin enough and I should stop before I blow it up."

animefan

Hey that is a great looking first attempt at a bowl. The catch is an interesting touch. Bowls can be a lot of fun and they are a challenge so keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more interesting pieces from your shop.

latelearner

That's a good looking bowl for your first attempt. I would have to count the pieces in the trash and on the floor to show my first bowl.:biggrin:

steeler fan1

Todd,

Very good. I have been wanting to try some bowl turning but haven't got the courage yet:wink:. I need to get and S curve rest and some bowl chisels.
Any reccomendations for a beginner?
Keep up the good work.

Carl

Last edited:

bensoelberg

A half inch bowl gouge is always a good place to start. The first bowl that I ever made was done entirely with a half inch gouge. If you can afford it, a nice half round scraper is also very useful.

jimbob91577

I'm more of a bowl turner than a pen turner and to be honest, it all comes down to tool presentation. An S-Curved tool rest is nice, but not necessary for bowl turning. Anyone who wants to turn bowls should not use this as an excuse for not attempting one.

I personally use a Pinnacle 3/8" Bowl Gouge I got on sale at Woodcraft and a 1.25" Bowl Scraper (I call it my bowl knife) for 90% of everything I do. The remaining 10% I use spindle gouges for, like defining beads and such.

The very first thing I hollowed, I used my 1/4" Spindle gouge and the dome scraper that came with my first tool set - cheap-O's! I had so many dings in it it wasn't funny, but I learned something - which made the experience worthwhile.

Top Bottom