First Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Turned my first acrylic ... I had to, the box of stuff from Arizona Silhouette came today and it was burning my hands.. honestly... Bill made me do it.. LOL...
Also my first Atlas Pen, a new kit that AS is selling that they have designed..
Let me tell you this is one nice kit.. I was a little apprehensive about the design (almost a clone to the Patriot kit).. but once I finished it and wrote with it I was sold.. this will definately go into my spring inventory... and the best part is that I can get two pens from one acrylic blank.. now that is economical....
The kit I did was a Black Chrome with the AA03 acrylic blank that Bill describes as "A wild abstract of fine orange lines against dark brown; very special and unique".. and it definately is.. works real nice with the black chrome kit...
Sanded with Hut Magic Sand, a new nonwoven steel wool that Hut sells that comes in 4 grades.. the finest is equivalent to 10000grit... the finish was dead smooth and glossy with that... then finished with Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish which really gave it a glass like finish with absolutely no swirl marks...
Looks like there will definately be some acylics in my future from now on...
20041229202255_AcrylicAtlas2a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That looks slicker than "Gorilla Snot". Now before someone takes offense, "Gorilla Snot" is wax that guitarists use to improve their ability to slide quickly up and down their fretboard. And yes, I use Gorilla Glue to make things tight that are loose and Gorilla Snot to make things loose that are tight. [:D]

WoodChucker

Tom, it sure looks a heck of a lot better then my first acrylic pen. In fact, it looks better then most of my pens. [:D] Nice job and thanks for sharing!

R.T.

Vern

Tom, that's one great looking pen! Isn't it fun turning acrylics? Now that you're hooked on plastic ya prolly won't be needing that stick of wood that it's leaning on. Where do I send the self addressed stamped envelope? [:D]

Vern

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Length is 4.875" just a nice size and very comfortable in the hand.. well balanced.. tube length is 2.875" so you will be able to get 2 pens out of a 6" blank.. very economical

Nice looking pen! I like the black on black also. I have to get some of the newer "black chrome" pen kits. I have some acrylic cigar pens in the works with the same blank. Black and orange. (In addition to turning pens I'm also a big into Halloween. I have run a charity based community haunted house for the last four years. I have an extensive web site in case anyone in interested....http://fast.horrorseek.com/haunted/kingsburycem/)
So the first black and orange pen may be a "keeper" for myself. I also recently purchased some of the newer black/orange/white acrylic that looks real nice. Will post some new pics soon. Today is my wife's birthday so I'm trying to finish a pink ivory gentlemans pen in 10k gold as part of her gift. (guess I need to get back to the workshop instead of surfing the net!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom