Emperor's Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Emporer in zitan, called "The Emporer's Wood" in China. Thanks for looking and/or commenting.

20051027443_ZitanEmperor.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Johnny and Fred. Fred, the zitan is very easy to drill and turn. It's a bit porous, but no more so than bloodwood, zebrawood or cocobolo. A couple of coats of sanding sealer and you are ready to finish. [8D]

JimGo

Very nice Lou! I'll be curious to see this one in person; it looks like a heck of a pen! I've only seen pics of Zitan, too, so this will be cool!

M

Mudder

Lou,

That pen is exquisite. I like the fit, finish, and the choice of wood.
How did you find that kit to work out? Was it easy to assemble? Did you find any problems?

Ron Mc

Lou,
Great looking pen. I ended out buying two of the Emperor kits for a customer 2 days after the bulk buy ended! They should be here today just in time for me to be out of town for the next two days. Oh well[V]it gives me something to look forward to. Anything we need to know about the kit?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

Your pen is gorgeous. I have a marketing question, but I think I will post it as a separate topic-I don't want to "hijack" your thread.

Nice work.[:)]

Your pen looks awesome,great choice for the wood.

I ordered a few of these as well, I am wondering what to use on them...it's not that easy when the kit is this expensive, so I want to make sure it sows it's class with the wonderful hardware..

hmmmmmm[:)]

Rifleman1776

This is probably more impressive in person. The glare on the hardware is distracting. Appearance-wise, the wood doesn't do much for me. Of course, it's scarcity makes it very unique. Your workmanship and finish, goes without saying, but I'll say it...does justice to the rare wood and beautiful components.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, for the generous words. I really can't expand much on the kit beyond what Rich and Tony said in their reviews. The hardware dictates a fairly straight-cut barrel and there are really only three sub-assemblies to put together--the clip/finial, the centerband/couplers and the tailpiece. Each of these subassemblies has numerous components, but they are pre-assembled! The nib assembly just screws in, as expected. Frank, you are right about the photo. I was tired last night and didn't give it my best effort. I'm not much of a photographer, but here's another pic which I hope shows the pen better. Jim, I tend to use less "flashy" blanks for the more detailed fittings. I think it avoids eye-conflict to a potential buyer. As for the "red" coloring, Mr. Boy, you'll have to give credit or blame to a higher authority. I don't make the wood, I just turn it! [8D]

20051027175447_ZitanEmperora.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />great looking wood. I am trying to figure out the best wood to use with mine. Or if an acrylic would look good.

Antler would look elegant with this. If you can find some. [;)][:)] Seriously, the axis finished as an ivory would be a stunner.

Darley

Very nice work Lou, like the pen, 1 question, a while ago I been nearly burn with a company selling Zitan wood, I would like to know ( if you want tell me ) where did you get your Zitan blank? thanks

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Serge--I got the wood from an Embassy friend of mine. I've not found any trustworthy source for this wood. Even with this piece, I sent a sample to a taxonomist for validation.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
A biologist who specializes in the classification of organisms into groups on the basis of their structure and origin and behavior

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wayne--the wood does not easily oxidize nor react to UV rays. I've seen some beautiful small tables and boxes that are hundreds of years old that retain this color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom