El Presidente in Boise de Rose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Sterling Silver hardware. I only have a few jumbo blanks and this pen is HUGE! I'm a bit disappointed with the pen though. I sanded, then filled the open grain with sanding sealer, sanded again and filled the grain with CA. Sanded again and applied a CA finish. I noticed some pinkish white specks in what looked to be the once open grain. So I dug them out, resealed with CA (3 times!) and sanded again. CA/BLO finish and TSW. And I STILL see some white specks, but not like before. Once I got it turned, I noticed that this blank has a nice looking black grain (in view) on one side. Creates a neat effect.

20069703236_elpresidenteSL_boisderose.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always, feel free to hammer away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Billy that's one big honkin pen! It's a real beauty! I love the Boise de Rose. If it's any consolation I noticed the same thing in an Emperor I did in Boise de Rose. Same story resanded and cleaned and refinished....still a couple of spots. Anyway FANTASTIC pen!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Sorry about how this one turned out, Billy. I pass a landfill on the way to work, so just send it to me so you won't have to suffer by looking at it anymore! [;)]

BigRob777

Billy,
Now I don't feel so bad about having a speckled Bois de Rose cigar pen. My first four came out great, as I used spray lacquer. The speckled one was fihished with CA. I swore off of it for a while, but I'm back using CA again. I hope to try it out on a "Bengal Tiger" pen this weekend.
Rob
Oh Yeah, Nice pen. I'll bet it weighs a ton. The blanks were sure big enough, weren't they?
Rob

Thumbs

That's cool, Billy! I made a Bois de Rose "Robusto" in Gold with Rob's blanks a while back. This "El Presidente" looks like the same kit under another brand name....... I think I like the looks of your silver a tad better. [:p] Maybe![}:)]
Nice job![:D]

gerryr

Excellent work as usual Billy. I like the El Presidente and they seem to sell reasonably well. I've just about given up on Bois de Rose because of the problem with the open pores and pink sanding dust.

alamocdc

Thanks, all! I can understand that fully, Gerry. When the compressor set at 90 psi (after each grit from the very beginning) didn't work, I knew I was in trouble. Even DNA didn't help, but it was probably too late by that time.

redfishsc

Getting rid of the dust equation is as follows. I have never turned BdR but this hasn't failed me yet.

lacquer thinner + bristle brush + a light touch to work in the bristles = clean blank.

I use a paint-gun cleaning brush which is ONLY a lacquer-thinner resistant toothbrush. A toothbrush will do fine so long as it don't melt with the thinner.

BTW,

Is the El Presidente, Robusto, and Havana basically the same thing? They sure do look similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom