Eccentric Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

I have a Joyner off center chuck, it works well for pentants, pocket watches, and other small things. You need good two sided tape to hold your material to the chuck. I havent tried the others but for the price this one works well and has endless settings. It was first offered here but now I think Ruth Niles carries them. If you have any questions on this chuck, let me know. I know alot of members on this site bought them.

Dave

Padre

I have a Joyner off center chuck, it works well for pentants, pocket watches, and other small things. You need good two sided tape to hold your material to the chuck. I havent tried the others but for the price this one works well and has endless settings. It was first offered here but now I think Ruth Niles carries them. If you have any questions on this chuck, let me know. I know alot of members on this site bought them.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will look at it.

ctubbs

Did you think about a 4 jaw independent chuck? That would give you good holding ability and a very large variety of positioning. Just a thought, no idea of price.
Charles

Padre

Did you think about a 4 jaw independent chuck? That would give you good holding ability and a very large variety of positioning. Just a thought, no idea of price.
Charles
I am not sure what that is? :) I have a Nova G3 right now.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
An important beginning is to understand what sort of offset / multi axis projects to you want to do. The answer to that question can lead to something as simple as homemade wooden eccentric chucks that I have made for small offset turnings or creative mounting between centers with steb drives to the monsterous multi axis chuck that Keith Holt uses to turn facial features on masks.

PenMan1

Dave

I have this chuck and it provides all the offset I ever envision needing.
It was relatively inexpensive and can be offset in about any way that you can imagine.

Padre

An important beginning is to understand what sort of offset / multi axis projects to you want to do. The answer to that question can lead to something as simple as homemade wooden eccentric chucks that I have made for small offset turnings or creative mounting between centers with steb drives to the monsterous multi axis chuck that Keith Holt uses to turn facial features on masks.

I am looking to turn pens, goblets, boxes, etc.

Padre

Ok, I've narrowed it down, but here's my concern. Right now (until I have enough money for my PM4224) I am using a Delta 46-460. Don't eccentric chucks cause quite a 'wobble' on the lathe? And since the 46-460 is a midi lathe, won't the chuck cause even more of a wobble? I wish to turn goblets, small boxes, pens and the like.

Only the Escoulen comes with counter-balancing weights to reduce the wobble btw.

Thanks!

Padre

Offset turning creates quite a bit of wobble. You don't have your PM3520 any more?

No, I had to sell it about a year ago. I am saving for the larger PM though.

SO, the escoulen with the counter-balance would be the best bet?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I've done offset turning with a jet mini, but it was a bit unnerving and I was not using an eccentric chuck. I've done all my offset turning with creative use of my drive centers and Talon chuck.

Rumors suggest that PM will be coming out with a re-design for the 4224 at the Symposium in San Jose.

broitblat

I've not had a problem with eccentric turning of small pieces on a mini lathe. It really all depends on the total mass. I would think a goblet or small box should be OK.

-Barry

Top Bottom