Ebony/Antler Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodenRanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodenRanger

Trying to post a picture for the 1st time. Been looking at IAP website for awhile but just joined and trying to figure out how things work. Have enjoyed and learned alot from the site. Thanks for looking.

200782732748_Ebony-Deer%20Antler%20Statesman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP.
It looks like you did a very nice job with the pen. A few suggestions about the photo, though. The background is quite distracting and may be contributing to the overall bluish caste of the photo. I plan light gray or off-white background will work better. The second thing is a question regarding the lighting and your camera. What kind of lights are you using and does your camera allow for setting a custom white balance? Check the photography forum and you'll find lots of information on lights to use. But, if your camera allows for a custom white balance, you can use just about any type of light. The last thing is that the pens seems very slightly out of focus, so you may be outside the macro range of your camera by an inch or so. Black and white in more or less equal proportions is a difficult combination to photograph and unless you can shoot in RAW mode, and are prepared for a lot of post shooting manipulation, you won't have detail in both the black and the white portions. The best thing to do is to under-expose the shot so you are sure to have some detail in the white portions. Sometimes photographing a pen is harder than making the pen.

Rifleman1776

Pen looks great. Agree with other criticizms of the picture. You can buy felt squares at Wal-Mart, or other craft stores, very reasonable priced, to use for backgrounds. In adddition, use your photo editing software to eliminate (crop out) most of the picture that isn't a pen.

WoodenRanger

I used CA glue. Since then I have been using polyurethane glue. It seems to work better. I did have trouble with the back of the cap cracking a little. I am not sure why. May be the antler is not all the way dry like wood and it shifted?? Thanks

OKLAHOMAN

Woody,

I think that I would really like that pen, and as everone on the forum will attest to I'm the last person to judge photography. That being said junk your background and retake the photo with a solid background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom