Earthquake with Accent ring.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

OK, I know it's called an oops ring.:rolleyes: The good thing about making your own casts is that you can pour a matching piece if you need to fix a slight mistake. I actually like the ring, and so did my wife (my biggest critic). I thought of an earthquake when I saw this one. So that's where the title came from.

The kit is a chrome Orion from Woodturningz. The blank is reverse painted green. The green in the blank is very translucent so I was afraid black would make the green too dark.

Comments & constructive criticism welcome.

Earthquake2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I love the job you did on the blank casting. I think it looks great so keep that up! It also looks like you did a good job on the polishing. Nice that you went the extra mile with the custom finial, but I would have preferred that you chose a piece that had more of the green and brown, and less of the white.

I'm not a fan of the ring. I like that you made it to match one of the colors in the blank, but a single band with no counterpart seems unbalanced. I think matching bands at the top and bottom of each tube, or another single band on the other tube, opposite the nib end would look better. Did you overturn the nib end of the blank, or is it the photo that makes it look that way?

Did I say I like your blank!

Last edited:

BSea

I love the job you did on the blank casting. I think it looks great so keep that up! It also looks like you did a good job on the polishing. Nice that you went the extra mile with the custom finial, but I would have preferred that you chose a piece that had more of the green and brown, and less of the white.

I'm not a fan of the ring. I like that you made it to match one of the colors in the blank, but a single band with no counterpart seems unbalanced. I think matching bands at the top and bottom of each tube, or another single band on the other tube, opposite the nib end would look better. Did you overturn the nib end of the blank, or is it the photo that makes it look that way?

Did I say I like your blank!

The problem with the finial is that there isn't a whole lot of choice on what to use if you use the same blank. Those orions have a long lower barrel, so I used what was left.

I'm not a fan of the ring either, but it was that, or start over. To be honest, I didn't think of a counterpart for the lower barrel. I agree that it would have looked better. I'll remember that if/when it happens again.:rolleyes:

And it's the picture that makes the nib end look a bit overturned. It probably has something to do with the way I shape the lower barrel. I've attached another picture, that might help a bit. I didn't use it because it's a little fuzzy.

And thanks for the compliment on the blank.

Attachments

• Earthquake 3.jpg
    Earthquake 3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 211

SDB777

Like how the swirlies came out, must have had the pouring gods working with ya on these! And I'm thinking the green paint was a good idea too!

Scott (shined up purty too) B

TDE

great!

Bob, I think every pen I see that you do looks better! Great job on the blank and the pen. Ted

Tom T

Great pen, color and design. If you had not said anything I would have thought the band was part of the design. Looks great to me.

Top Bottom