Earrings turned from pen blank off cuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from flynn

flynn

I made the mistake of playing around with alternative uses for pen blanks and came up with earrings. My wife has had me chained to the lathe creating a variety of colours. These were turned by holding the pen blank off cut length ways in the pin jaws and doming the end, polishing and then parting. This process is repeated for the second earring disc. One pair was from a glow in the dark blank.

Cheers
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 573
  • glow-in-dark-earrings.jpg
    glow-in-dark-earrings.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 459
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

funny, I just got some ear wires in the mail while I was out of country. Along with some cuff link backs.

Figured I could make wood and glass jewelry as well as pens. I'm hoping to knock some out this weekend.

glycerine

Oh, and what type of plating is best to use. I mean what would be the least like to cause issues as far as reactions with peoples skin? Surgical steel?

Russianwolf

do a search on jewelry finding and you'll find dozens of sources. I recommend solid metal findings, not plated. Sterling tends to be the most popular, but copper and bronze are available also, as well as gold if you go really high end.

glycerine

do a search on jewelry finding and you'll find dozens of sources. I recommend solid metal findings, not plated. Sterling tends to be the most popular, but copper and bronze are available also, as well as gold if you go really high end.

I actually picked up some at Joanne's Fabrics to try. Got some surgical steel and some sterling silver. Also found some "studs" so I could just glue the them to the back... I'm going to try this out as soon as I finish up that herringbone blank I'm working on!

Top Bottom