Eagle's Cross Blank Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDPens

Hi All,

My name's Josh Anderson, I'm 15 (I'll be 16 in February) and have been turning pens for about 3 months. I less than 3 dozen pens under my belt but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I first gained an interest after going to a Woodcraft Penturning 101 class. As evidenced by the fact that I'm here, I had a blast!!

A few weeks back, Eagle requested a guinea pig (novice penturner) for an experiment he wanted to try. Dad (NavyDiver) replied and told him that he could have three. He agreed and asked each of us to turn one of his cross inlayed pen blanks and post our experiences.

So, here goes: </u>:D
I received the blank in the mail about 2 weeks ago, well packaged and in one piece (that's important you know! [:p] )

Edit: Sorry, I have pictures (I hope) of the pen in-progress, but I have so far been unable to transfer them to the computer.

I proceeded to treat it like a normal pen blank, a little bit more carefully (no replacements) but normally nonetheless.
After cutting the blank on our compound miter saw, I proceeded to do your standard drilling, milling, and gluing.

However, for glueing in the tubes, I used a tip of Eagle's. I took candle wax ($1 store tea candles) and plugged the end of the tube. After tamping it down, I then put glue in the hole of the blank, as well as on the tube. The wax-filled tube then acts as a plunger to make sure the glue coats the entire inside of the barrel, ideally preventing blowouts. It was a bit slow, but worth it.

Dad had touched up the tools for me on our diamond honing stone so everything was nice and sharp. After putting it on the mandrel and setting up the lathe, I started with a roughing gauge (3/4 in) and turned it round. After the blank was round, I removed the tool rest and stabilized the blank with a swipe of medium CA.

By stabilized, I mean that I took a paper towel, put a little bit less than a dime's worth of CA on it. This was then put on the wood with the lathe at low speed. This prevented the inlay from coming out, locked the colors in so the woods didn't bleed, and helped to keep the blank from splitting.

I then used a 1/2 in skew chisel to take the blank down to nearly form, and repeated the "stabilization" process.
After snugging it up, just proud of where I wanted the final shape, I switched to sandpaper. I'd rather go through several pieces of sandpaper than have to worry about the blank splitting because I got too close. [8D]

I started with 150 grit, followed by 240, 320, and 400. In between each of these, I stopped the lathe and sanded with the grain to remove sanding lines. I then used MicroMesh, starting with 1500 and going to 12000. That in and of itself produced a nice shine! :D

Now, for the finishing. I used CA again, only this time I followed up with BLO (boiled linseed oil for any new turners). BTW, the BLO was applied about half speed and then rubbed in at wide open. I wore plastic gloves for this part so I didn't have to worry about the glue, or get oil all over my hands. After the first coat of CA/BLO, I sanded it with 8000 and 12000 MM.
I repeated the above process two more times. After all that (wow! those fumes can be overpowering [xx(] ), I finished it up with one application of HUT Crystal Coat.

The pen was quite shiny by now, and the inlay looked fantastic!
After removing the blanks from the lathe, I proceeded to put the pen together. We use a metal-working vise as a pen press/pen vise(milling)/etc. After pressing in the nib and twist mechanism, I used an awl from the top end to ream back out the tip of the nib where it had just barely folded inwards (this a regular occurence). The rest of the pen went together without a hitch and looks fantastic!!

A few concluding remarks:

This was a unique opportunity to try something very different. The blank turned very smoothly and I didn't feel any resistance when turning or drilling.
The only thing I would recommend is that you don't be stingy with your CA.
I am very pleased with the way it turned out. From what I can tell, Eagle put alot of work into these and it shows. They are definantly worth the money! [No, I wasn't paid to say that ;) ]

BTW,
It is a Walnut blank with a Holly/Maple (not sure which) inlay and Bloodwood cross. The kit is a Black Titanium Cigar from Bear Tooth Woods. The finish is mentioned above (CA/BLO)

Here are some pics of the finished pen:

2006111722541_Josh%20Full%20Pen%20small.jpg

A pic of the full pen, looks great doesn't it? :D

2006111722725_Josh%20Closeup%20small.jpg

A closeup of the inlay. (Sorry about the glare, I couldn't get rid of it [:I] )

Let me know if you want to see more pics, I have a couple more of the finished product.

All things considered, I really enjoyed it, it was neat experience! :D :D :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

[:D][:D]WOW[:D][:D]

Josh you did a great job on that pen.
I would never have thought of swiping the walnut with ca during turning to stablize it. I would have thought walnut wouldn't need stablizing to turn. I think you used the ca during turning to keep the inlay in place.

Great job on the pen.

oh and before Skye says it "i can see sanding lines"[:D]
probably due to the bright light used to photograph it.
bet you wouldnt see those lines without the camera light on it.

oh and if you just dont like that pen send to me and i will be happy to dispose of it for you.

woodmarc

Josh,
That is an excellent write up. You should turn it in to your English teacher for extra credit [:D][:p].
Obviously a product of a DOD supported school system!

An excellent job on the pen, the fit and finish look excellent. And of course the inlay is most excellent. I like your choice of Kit, I makes the inlay standout and does and does a good job of showing off your craftsmanship.

NavyDiver, Great Kids, you are blessed.
Kudo's and thanks for the service.

JasonF

Wonderful job on the pen and great write up!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not so sure those are sanding lines. If you look at almost any wood pen (Walnut and Maple tend do show more than some others) you will see a line from the top to the bottom of the pen that is a pattern change in the wood which results from turning the wood round. This pattern is also visible on the opposite side of the pen. I use these lines to make sure I have "lined" up the pen correctly upon assembly.

It looks like on Josh's pen the line happened to be highlighted by the lighting.

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />[:D][:D]WOW[:D][:D]

mrcook4570

The pen is very nice and the article is incredible. I am very impressed. I work with high school kids every day. Very few are able to express their thoughts in writing as well as you have. [^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I had the <s>opportuninty</s> privledge to speak with Josh on the phone last Saturday while he was in the middle of working on this project. He was not able to finish it that day because he was going to the turnathon at the local WoodCraft.
When I first proposed this project to Navydiver I was told that between the three of them they didn't have 20 pens under their collective belts.I saw the finished pen via e-mail Sunday night.
Josh you did a great job on the pen and your write up was something I had not expected.
I only have one critcal comment.
You put this on the wrong fourm.I truly believe you should have posted this in Show Off Your Pens!.It is a forum set up to show off you best work![^]
Thanks for taking part in my little experiment,
BTW Josh had no coaching from me other than a "tips" sheet I e-mail to those who buy one of the blanks.It isn't anything special, a compliation of things I have posted here many times.Pretty much a set of suggestions any one would use when turning any wooden blank, not specifically one of my glue ups.Also there is no reason for anyone to be intimidated in turning one of these blanks,heck even a 16 year old can turn one
[:D]

I am looking forward to seeing Brians.(Has he finished that homework yet?)[:D]

TBone

Josh, great job on the pen and fantastic job on the right up. I know your Dad is proud and he should be. Heck at 16, I had never seen a lathe for turning wood.

bnoles

Josh,

I'll have to repeat what others have already said. Great job on the write up, turning and the finish. You have done Eagle's blank justice and I know how proud Eagle and your Dad both must be of your accomplishment. I am 57 years old and no where near as talented as you [:(]

Keep up the great work!

emackrell

Great work Josh, and a good writeup... I'm about to start turning my cross blanks this weekend so I appreciate the tips!

cheers Eileen [8D]

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by JasonF
<br />Wonderful job on the pen and great write up!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not so sure those are sanding lines. If you look at almost any wood pen (Walnut and Maple tend do show more than some others) you will see a line from the top to the bottom of the pen that is a pattern change in the wood which results from turning the wood round. This pattern is also visible on the opposite side of the pen. I use these lines to make sure I have "lined" up the pen correctly upon assembly.

It looks like on Josh's pen the line happened to be highlighted by the lighting.

Originally posted by leatherjunkie
<br />[:D][:D]WOW[:D][:D]

JasonF,

thanks for explaining that. I did not know that and i have turned black walnut before. Good eye.

dang you can teach an old dog something new[B)]

ashaw

JasonF

You should be proud of yourself. Your review was well done. I am glad to see our youth getting involved in this craft. Hopefully your school still has shop. If not take your pen and review in to your teacher. Show him/her take woodworking (turning) involves more then using tools.

Great job on the pen and on Eagles blank.

JDPens

Thanks for all the compliments, it's encouraging to be told that you've done a good job.

leatherjunkie, those are not sanding lines, it's the grain of the wood. I went over that blank with everything short using a magnifying glass. [;)]

JasonF, Yes you're correct, those are grain lines. The ones that I've done so far that produce that effect are Walnut, Brazilian Cherry, and Cherry.

woodmarc, I suppose I could give it to my Mom. <b>BTW, I'm homeschooled!</b> [:D]
However, I'm not sure what you mean by DOD supported school system?
Unless you count the fact that the DOD gives Dad his paycheck. [:p]

Again, thanks for the compliments guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom