Dye---?????????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

What kind of Dye do they use to color the Stablized wood with. You know like the Fancy Dyed Blue Box Elder Burl that BB sells.
I am wanting to try adding color to the blank when I stablize it. I am going to use MMA as the harding agent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Gary,

I have not used MMA but have used many different mediums. I use Transtint dye( http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm ) when I stabilize wood and also as a colorant for my resin casting. It is availabel direct from the websie I posted as well as Woodcraft and many others.

Gary Max

MMA can be bought in a bunch of places---there is a listing for it on ebay.
I did find out the info on adding color that I needed.
I hope this works----heck I will be able to sell stablized blanks if it does.
I have spent months working on getting all the stuff together to make this work----even bought a oven. I hope I am getting close to getting it right this time.

Gary Max

I am wanting to use MMA to Professionaly stablize pen blanks--------
This would be to costly just to stablize my personal blanks----it would be cheaper to send them out.

Thumbs

Whew! I thought we were looking at some baaad stuff for a moment there![:0][}:)] We had some bad guys out in the wild woods in Pa. using some meth stuff but I don't think they were too stable or too interested in the woods except to hide in! Don't tell your neighbors what you're using Gary or you might have your local police forces helping you stabilize your product! LOL![:p]

Gary Max

Bob that's why I stay with MMA which is really short for PMMA----heck I like that even better-----I could not believe that you can buy it on ebay----of course they are getting a small fortune for it. You really need to buy this stuff in a 55 gal drum. I ain't to that point yet. I would have to get to the point where I was selling several thousand blanks---I don't think I will go that far--- I just want to make a few for myself and sell a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom