Different... and I don't have any more...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is something totally different... and unfortunately I don't have any more of it... again, found this in the old chicken coop while collecting some corn cobs....
This is made from something that was the Colonial equivalent of today's plastic... just about anything we do with plastic today was done with this material... drinking glasses, plates, combs, etc.. all made from this natural material... Do you know what it is...
20041122204741_CowHorn.jpg

Yup good old fashion cow horn... but the problem today is that the horns on cattle are docked when the cow or bull is very young and you can't find horns that have 5-6" of thick end on them... I would venture to guess that you might find some on longhorn cattle.. but there are not all that many of them around either...
The stuff turns like plastic and takes a shine like plastic... but you have to be careful because it does have a grain and can chip out if you are not careful... I practiced on some scraps between centers just to find out what would work on it... I found that giving it a coat of BLO gave the horn an almost golden translucent look that I really liked... if no BLO is used the look is more opaque and somewhat duller... the choice is yours... IF you can find some..
This one was sanded to 800 grit, then a little BLO to give it a golden translucence and finished with CA sanded to 12000 MicroMesh and a coat of President's Choice...

low_48

Really nice work Ol Griz. I once watched Bonnie Klein turn a cow hoof for an insert in a box top. I almost looked like tortise shell. It had an unusal smell as well, she said it is just protein like our finger nails.

Really nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rich

Daniel

Hey Griz,
I'm glad to see you accomplished this. Not sure if you are awaire of it. but over a year ago I had a supplier of Water Buffalo Horn inlist my help in trying to get an interest in Horn going among penturners. Although it pretty much fell on it's face. (I do not recomend Buffalo Horn For Pens)
I di alot of hunting for other types of Horn during that time. It is out there. I don't have my links to the sights anymore....I don't think....
but I was not sure ou could even get enough solid tip from a cow horn to make a pen. Guess this answers that question don't it now.
KNow how long that little tip is on a Water Buffalo??? I have one hanging on my wall that is over 18 inches and that was with about three inches cut off the butt end of it. I have that piece also. Can you imagine how big the whole horn was. Not exactly your average beef cow.
anyway, thanks for showing me that you can get a pen out of a cow horn.
and as a side not. I made about a half dozen W.B.H. pens. they all developed crack after nine months to one year. don't want to spread gloom on your accomplishment, and I can't give you any tips on how to avoid it. maybe keeping it oiled like you would have to do Ivory or something. Let me know how yours stands up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom