Desert Ironwood Cigar for Retiring LEO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

My neighbor is a Buffalo PD officer. I made him a cigar in the BPD colors awhile back. He came over to find out where he could get some refills. I guess he wrote a lot of tickets with the pen!

I was showing off a DIW Aero that I made and the wood it came from when he told me about a friend of his in AZ who was retiring in August. He wanted a Cigar like his but in DIW to give as a gift. So I said that I would make him one out of that same wood as the Aero which came from the Tucson area.

The blank had a number of cracks as well as a small blowout drilling. Thin CA cured all these ills. I turned it between centers with JohnnyCNC bushings. I sanded this to 600 grit and then applied several coats of CA both thin and thick between centers with no bushings. I wet sanded to MM-12000 and applied Meguiar's ScratchX and PlastX as well as Ren Wax. Put it on a Gold kit from Wood N Whimsies.

I am going to put it into a Havana Box from CSUSA and give it to him after I show it off at the woodturners meeting. So here tis...

P1000042.jpg
P1000044.jpg

sP1000047.jpg
sP1000049.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PS Photos taken with my new Panasonic DMC-TS2 camera.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

This is my favorite wood!

Well done, good thing it's going to a 'retiring officer', I'm sure everyone that got pulled over would be admiring it as he/she was given an award for their driving!

Scott (perfect) B

wizard

The pen looks great! The finish is outstanding. Pictures are really nice with great views of the pen. Excellent job Bree!:)

Last edited:

Bree

Bree, that's one heck of a good looking pen. BTW, I am retiring form the coach soon do I qualify for one of those pens? that looks great for retiring.

Send some Texas Desert Ironwood branches to me and you definitely qualify!!

Bree

Bree, I'll work on that. I have to shake up my contacts to see who has that near by.

OK good! I am working on getting some more AZ DIW from my railroad friends. I am your basic Desert Ironwood Receiving Depot taking all manner of DIW.
:cool::cool::cool:

Toni

Bree~love the pen...stupid question: that is the same pen in all the pictures right? LOL That is the way Texas Desert Ironwood looks like when turned.

Bree

Bree~love the pen...stupid question: that is the same pen in all the pictures right? LOL That is the way Texas Desert Ironwood looks like when turned.

No question is stupid when you don't know the answer! Yes the 4 PIX are different views of the same pen. I usually show 3 views but in this case there as something on the back view that I wanted to show. I almost showed 5 because if you rotate the back view 45 degrees some of the lines through the sapwood show up sharply and create an interesting pattern which isn't so easy to see right now. But I figured that enough was enough.

BTW I place all the PIX on my website so I use little or no IAP bandwidth to display the PIX. They all come off my website bandwidth.
:wink::wink::wink:

PS... Did I tell you that I love your work and talk about you frequently?? I spoke about your polymer clay techiniques just the other day to a friend who is very craftsy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom