Delberg Stevensonii

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

PenWorks

When I got this blank from Gary Max and he told me it was Delberg Stevensonii, I thought it was another one of his fishing stories till I looked it up myself.

Def-D.stevensonii only grows in the swamp forests of southern Belize and nearby regions of Guatemala and Mexico. The species is threatened by increasing deforestation in the region and is very much sought after as tonewood for musical instruments, specifically for orchestral marimbas and xylophones. Easier access to its habitat and declining stocks of other rosewoods may also boost trade levels.

I mean who thinks up these names? :eek: Was it Mr. Stevensonii's tree? or was he the one that went to Mexico and was the first one to cut it down? I don't know, but I would like to have that job of naming wood. why not call it black rosewood?

Anyways, this pen is made of Delberg Stevensonii (nice ring to it) it has a CA finish and some casien appointments. The other pens are casien and black palm and casien and rosewood.

The brush handles that are unfinished just have one coat of waterlox on them. I was curious what effect the waterlox would have on the alternative ivory. Not much, it seem to take a little of the oil, which I was hoping would be the case. Just gave it a nice light antique look which you really can't see in the photo.

Thanks for looking and any comments. :)

Attachments

• pen_brush.jpg
    pen_brush.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 3_tophat.jpg
    3_tophat.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 296
  • del_stev.jpg
    del_stev.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Anthony, those are fantastic! The wood is gorgeous but I really like what you did with the alternative ivory. Those stripes are cool.

PS. I enjoyed your article in Woodturning Design.

PenWorks

The wood is gorgeous but I really like what you did with the alternative ivory. Those stripes are cool.

PS. I enjoyed your article in Woodturning Design.

The pens are casien, that is the material with the lines in it. The lines are formed in the casting process. The Alt ivory in on the handles only.

Glad you enjoyed the article

mickr

It took me awhile to understand the casien....What is casien & where does one purchase it? Awhile back I posted a rollerball with desert ironwood and alt ivory and I love the look of the two materials together...but I never thought of one tube in wood and other in alternative material...these I like..even the oversized cap piece...thanks for sharing with us

artistwood

beautiful work! if i may ask, where do you get your alt ivory? i like the striped look. iafter looking at your work, i may try something other than pens.....thanks..bear

its_virgil

Excellent work as usual, Anthony. The pen and the brushes look great. I also read your article and it is very nicely done also. I hope you will write more in the days to come. Utah is quickly approaching. Have a great time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Casien was a product developt in the 1800's, it was one of the first plastics made. Do a search on it. It is made from the protien of milk by-product. They made pens, paint and other stuff from it. It fell out of favor as better and cheaper manufacturing techniques developt. I happened upon this stuff by accident and bought all he had, which was not much. I think (not real sure, you will have to ask him) Exoticblanks or Ed may be getting some casien in. I have found the material to be somewhat unstable. I have experienced cracking of the barrels when pressed between to surfaces. So I only use it, when there is only one bearing surface, so it can expand and contract.

Virgil, it was nice to have the article published. But I could not write like you do with deadlines always looming, I procrastinate to much. Just like now, I am stressing about getting my stuff together for Provo :eek:

Top Bottom