Deer antler info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Help! I haven't been able to find "How to do it" on turning deer antler.I know the info. is here somewhere,maybe a tutoral? I was given a large several years old antler to experiment with,would appreciate any help. Also has anyone tried using a turkey shin bone? Thanks .pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

There are tons of threads here on the subject. Suggest you learn to use the search feature. For specific questions, come back, folks will help. Biggest problem is drilling a straight hole through a curved hunk of antler. Other than that, take your time. High speed, sharp tools, light touch. Good luck.

jleiwig

Help! I haven't been able to find "How to do it" on turning deer antler.I know the info. is here somewhere,maybe a tutoral? I was given a large several years old antler to experiment with,would appreciate any help. Also has anyone tried using a turkey shin bone? Thanks .pap

Search on Youtube for how to drill antler by our very own JRC. It's a good video.

My only suggestions are 1.) Wear a respirator 2.) Do it outside if you can, and 3.) it stinks, like really bad, flesh/hair burning stink that permeates your clothes and your shop for a while.

Other than that, it turns easy and polishes up good.

I have found that the stink is primarily from "fresh" antler. Don't know exactly what defines fresh, but I have turned some antler that is a couple of years old and had virtually no smell to it. For what it is worth.

HSTurning

The white tail I did really didnt smell.
I wore a respirator and when I took it off I didnt smell anything. It was a few years old and I used Hunter tool to turn it. No smell during sanding either.
I turn, sand and CA at 3800rpm.

Crashmph

Best advice... you really have to follow how it is done in the suggested video.

If you try to drill it on a drill press you will get mostly wasted antler. It is best drilled on a lathe. You can drill it on a drill press but it get progressivly harder to get a good hole drilled with out wasting a ton of material.

Good luck with it. Everytime I get my hands on some antler they are "given" away quickly.

Disclaimer Note: I do not, nor have I ever sold deer antler pens. :wink:

JohnU

Best advice... you really have to follow how it is done in the suggested video.

If you try to drill it on a drill press you will get mostly wasted antler. It is best drilled on a lathe. You can drill it on a drill press but it get progressivly harder to get a good hole drilled with out wasting a ton of material.

Good luck with it. Everytime I get my hands on some antler they are "given" away quickly.

Disclaimer Note: I do not, nor have I ever sold deer antler pens. :wink:

I give most of mine away also, usually for trade of more antler, but just wondering why you dont sell them. In Illinois it is not illegal to sell "non edible" parts of animals as long as they were taken legally and you have a tag from DNR or a bill of sale if bought from someone who raises them. Not to mention shed antlers. These laws became more liberal when the general public began raising wild animals. (deer, turkey, pheasants, etc..)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So, if I get antler from a hunter friend, and I want to sell the pens, do I need a document signed by the deer???

Crashmph

I give most of mine away also, usually for trade of more antler, but just wondering why you dont sell them. In Illinois it is not illegal to sell "non edible" parts of animals as long as they were taken legally and you have a tag from DNR or a bill of sale if bought from someone who raises them. Not to mention shed antlers. These laws became more liberal when the general public began raising wild animals. (deer, turkey, pheasants, etc..)

Some states have different laws concerning "animal parts" for sale. It is just easier for me to not sale the "animal parts" pens. So I just "give" them away. :biggrin:

bitshird

Is this just a regional thing? Up here we northerners sell things, not sale them. I'm not trying to pick you out, but I notice this a lot on posts from southerners in general. :tongue:

Justin, first off weuns down hear in the south ain't real shure bout Virgini bein a southern state. secundly we sells bout every thang we can get our yankee stranglin hands on.:mad: Now to sale sumthin you gotta raise the price up higher than it otter bee that way you can have a sale, you know like car dealers and other such folk.:biggrin: an it taint the boys fault that Jeb Stewart was a virginian :eek: heck far back then, feathers wuz fashunable, they wuzn't strange at all. Well may have been a mite wierd.

skywizzard

Justin, first off weuns down hear in the south ain't real shure bout Virgini bein a southern state. secundly we sells bout every thang we can get our yankee stranglin hands on.:mad: Now to sale sumthin you gotta raise the price up higher than it otter bee that way you can have a sale, you know like car dealers and other such folk.:biggrin: an it taint the boys fault that Jeb Stewart was a virginian :eek: heck far back then, feathers wuz fashunable, they wuzn't strange at all. Well may have been a mite wierd.

LOL Ken, them northerners just don't understand how us southern boys do things.....

tseger

Is this just a regional thing? Up here we northerners sell things, not sale them. I'm not trying to pick you out, but I notice this a lot on posts from southerners in general. :tongue:
To answer your question... No, that is not a regional thing, we "SELL" things down here just like you do up there, we just don't get as much for ours.LOL

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmph
It is just easier for me to not sale

I really like your signature line, Justin.

diamundgem

I usually grind my blanks on a grinder to take the curved ends off. Try to get them as straight as possible before drilling them. they fit better in the drill guide (Then cross your fingers)

Top Bottom