Cutting boards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

I made these for our three girls for Christmas. The smaller was the prototype and LOML claimed it. All end grain and the majority is Maple, Cherry and Walnut, with a few odds and ends of QS White Oak, Beech, and Butternut thrown in for contrast.

200712212639_cutting_boards.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Very nice! What did you finish them with so that they are safe for food preparation?

alamocdc

Originally posted by Ron Mc

Very nice! What did you finish them with so that they are safe for food preparation?
Sorry, Ron, I thought I included it. I use mineral oil on almost all of my food utensils. It's inert and doesn't turn rancid like most other oils. Ocassionally I will use a mixture of bee's wax and mineral oil, but it depends on the piece.

wood-of-1kind

Billy,you just provided me with an idea for using a ton of discarded beech and walnut planed wood. This is the right idea for putting 'extra' lumber to good use. Very nice examples of cutting boards. Thanks.

-Peter-:)

ahoiberg

billy, how did you clamp the pieces up initially? a bunch of mixed boards together and then ripped them into 1 inch pieces or whatever and then a second glue up? again, great looking pieces!

recently i made a cutting board in my cold, cold shop and it bowed something fierce after gluing... i planed and jointed all the pieces before glue up, but i'm wondering if i should have glued only 2 or 3 at a time before gluing the whole thing together... any suggestions? they were pieces of walnut and maple alternating, about 4 inches wide each. i tried to alternate the endgrain to prevent mass warp... perhaps it was the cold shop followed by bringing it inside after the glue set up? your thoughts are appreciated...

alamocdc

Thanks, all! Yes, Andrew, I glued up the long pieces and planed them smooth. Then cut them to length and glued them again. Suggestions? 1) Get a heater for the shop. Drastic temperature humidity changes make wood move... sometimes alot. 2) Make sure the wood has acclimatized to the shop for a few weeks. 3) Only glue up as many as you can work with before the glue starts to set up. 4) If the initial glue-up bows, but was flat when glued, you should be able to straighten them out when you do the second gluing.

byounghusband

Billy,
Those are sweet. I think I have the Wood Magazine edition that talked about those. One of these days I'm gonna have to do some. Thanks for the motivation!! Nice work!!

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind remarks, fokls. Just a word of caution for those who want try these. Don't be stingy with the glue and be careful not to starve your glue joints. DAMHIKT[:0]

Top Bottom