Custom"caps" for slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has anyone delved into making custom caps for slimline pens?
I have located a source for the studs that screw into the cap itself but haven't figured out how to insert it into the tube other than gluing.
Is there some way that someone has figured out to "press fit" the cap to the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I've turned one from Corian by turning a tenon to go into the tube and glueing it in place but haven't tried to do anything with screwposts. The top I was using required an 1/8" tenon but going into the standard tube would take a 1/4" tenon.

I intend to try more with woods as I get time. I tried too hard last time as I was trying to hide the mark from the live center. Later it dawned on me to put the tenon on the tail end and the mark would be inside the pen and I could dry fit the piece before parting it off as well.

You will want to use a skew to get as nice a cut as possible because sanding once the small piece has been parted was quite a chore. So was applying a finish but now that I have the Beall buffing system that should be easier.

G

Tip( If I may call you Tip)
How did/would you deal with the clip?

tipusnr

The clip slid over the tenon just as it would have over the metal piece from the kit. The only touchy part was to use a thin dab of thick CA glue at the very end of the tenon after putting the clip on so the clip could turn. With corian the fit was tight enough to friction fit but wood would need to me glued.

tipusnr

In rereading your original posting. I don't think the studs were intended for slimline pens. There are kits for larger pens that the top screws into place and allow for monograms and logos and such. I can't locate the catalog right now but I'm sure some of the other turners make these kits and can tell you what they are.

G

these were the only things I can find:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/images/050-7053.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom