CRITIQUE - Blue Acrylic Acetate Series 2000 Roller

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

This is a gift for my aunt. It is a Series 2000 rollerball pen made from blue Acrylic Acetate that Martin from Woodbin (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9353 ) is offering. I did a cigar pen from it too, and find that it isn't too hard to work with (unfortunately, I messed up the bushings on the cigar, so...no pic). For the lighter colors, I do recommend coloring the blank or the tube.

Your comments/critiques are, as always, appreciated. I note that the bottom barrel is rounder than the top, and should have made them more consistent. The top of the cap also appears just a TAD too short. What else do you see (other than the fingerprint on the clip)?

05-09-20%20Blue%20Acrylic%20Open%20-%20Small.jpg

05-09-20 Blue Acrylic Closed - Small.jpg

BTW, the refill is in this one just for Rich! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Jim, you already pointed out everything I could see, but I agree with you on the barrel consistency. It just looks odd otherwise. I didn't notice the cap being short, but what do I know? Overall, it looks like you did a good job on the acetate. I ordered some yesterday and can't wait to try it.

Hi Jim,

I think you made a great looking pen. I looked at what you mentioned and I have to say if I was being really picky I'd agree about the visual being a bit out of place with where you located your largest barrel diameter on the writing portion of the pen. I like to position this diameter closer to the writing end of the pen, usually at the 1/3 distance mark from the end of the blank.

I like to try and balance my curve to be of proportionate size on the cap to the pen barrel, even being similar in shape. I also envision over all pen look and shape with the cap closed and in this case open. I try to find a pleasing look that fits both cases.

During the turning process I often try (I say TRY [:)]) to refine my shape before I get to the final planing cuts to the bushings.

Again Jim, it looks great, the finish looks first class as well. This is a real gem that any of us would be proud to have in our pen tray.
[:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, I really like the material and you did a great job finishing it... I can't say I like the kit.. that back section just seems so out of place to me..
AS for the shape of the lower barrel, have you considered disassembling the lower barrel and returning it to match the top... I think that would make it.

JimGo

Thanks for the feedback guys! Tom, I thought about disassembling it, but I HATE taking pens apart! In this case, though, I may make an exception...

Fine looking pen...in the photo the post end appears to "bend".
Perhaps laying it flat may take the bend out. Also try floating a white sheet of paper over the pen (but out of picture frame) to brighten the white in the silver. I dont think you asked for a photo critique, but all that needed to be said, has been already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom