Crib dam blue oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

<center>CRIB DAM BLUE OAK</center><center>Rappahannock River</center>

The Rappahannock river flows from the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia across the Piedmont to the Chesapeake Bay. The river was considered a boundry between the "North" and "South" during the Civil War.

The Crib Dam near Fredericksburg was built in the mid 1800's from pine beams and oak planks from nearby forests. The wood remained under water for over 150 years until conservation efforts set out to restore the river's natural flow.

This centuries old timber was pulled from the river when the historic Crib Dam was demolished in 2004. A non-profit group, The Friends of the Rappanhannock, auctioned the lumber with proceeds going to restoration of the river. This project has been featured on the popular TV show, "The New Yankee Wookshop". I was fortunate to aquire a small amount of oak and pine from the Crib Dam for penturning.

This wood is becoming increasingly rare. The price continues to climb. Once it's gone, this historic wood will be gone forever. I was fortunate to purchase several lots from a group buy thanks to James Gillespie, a fellow IAP penturner.

Here's a picture of a cigar pen made from Blue Oak dating to the 1700's which was underwater for 150 years and pulled from the river in 2004:

2008119123246_BlueOak.jpg

For a 5 dollar donation to help support the IAP, you can have a chance to win this historic wood and more. Did I metion that Richard DeArment added some fantastic Trustone Blanks! Dude! Five bucks for a chance to win well over a hundred dollars worth of pen blanks. Live overseas? No problem. This raffle includes shipping anywhere in the world! Come on, there's only 2 days left, ends SUNDAY!

Go here to see all the blanks in the raffle:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31879

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

That's great. Love the story and the wood has taken on an interesting color. Recycled timber in it's self is a great catch. I have some oak that was re-claimed from the bottom of the colorado river and it is totally grey like a dark storm cloud.

avbill

Very interesting story. My ancestries lived in Fredericksburg area as farmers between 1765 - 1830. I must put in a donation for a chnce to have this pen.

bill daniels

Draken

Great looking pen, glad to see you using some of the wood. [8D] But it doesn't look dark enough to be the Oak. Are you sure it isn't the Pine? All of the Oak I had was from one board, and it was a dark charcoal gray. That looks more like the pine I've turned, or the pic is off, or my monitor is off....[8)]

Avbill, the raffle is for some of the wood to make pens with, not for the pen pictured. See the other thread for details.

Firefyter-emt

That's the oak. With that grain pattern, there is no way it's the pine.

Originally posted by Draken

Great looking pen, glad to see you using some of the wood. [8D] But it doesn't look dark enough to be the Oak. Are you sure it isn't the Pine? All of the Oak I had was from one board, and it was a dark charcoal gray. That looks more like the pine I've turned, or the pic is off, or my monitor is off....[8)]

Avbill, the raffle is for some of the wood to make pens with, not for the pen pictured. See the other thread for details.

Rmartin

It's the oak. It has a very blue almost greenish color. The pine has a pine color. The color comes from the minerals of the river. Some of the planks were more exposed than others I suppose. There is a pic of the blanks side by side in the link posted in my main message.

Rmartin

BUMP!

LAST DAY TO ENTER

Raffle ends at 8:00 PM, Sunday

If you purchased tickets, please check the raffle post to make sure you are listed. If not, please email me!

Thanks and good luck to all!

Top Bottom