Full Review Creative Dimensions 3D fish scale? pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I recently had the priveledge of being picked to test a Creative Dimensions 3D pen blank. These blanks are wood blanks that have been cut on a laser by IAP members Charlie(NewLondon88) and Alton(GreenMtnGuy). I may have their names backwards... If so, sorry guys....

Despite me asking repeatedly, They did not wrap the blank in a wad of Hundreds to guarantee a good write up from myself. They did, however provide the test blank free of charge.

The blank came in a padded envelope with more padding wrapped around the blank itself. It was pre-drilled, pre-tubed, pre-trued, and turned. It was also laser relief cut with a 360 degree scale pattern.

There were no instructions, other than what was listed on the original thread asking for testers. This was done intentionally, To let the testers try new ideas. My only instruction was that I was asked to cast my blank in resin. A general knowledge of penturning, and a standard shop setup is all you need. An understanding of CA finish techniques may also be helpful.

These blanks come unsanded and unfinished. This allows you to decide the color combinations, and / or materials you wish to put on the blank. The possibilities for these blanks are only limited by your imagination.

I attempted to make my test blank something completely new. As fishing season is officially upon us, I decided to do a fishing lure design. My ambition was a bit steep. Due to mistakes i made, the blank did not survive the original idea. The resin was not fully cured when i turned it which caused failure. I should have slowed down and taken my time. The casting was also slightly injured on the ends when it chipped from removal of the plugs. This is a simple repair and not much of an issue, just something to look for.

So, in closing, On a scale between 1 to 10, ten being best.... I rate the Creative Dimensions 3D fish scale blank as follows:

Quality- 9 (My test blank had a small blemish on one side that made it a challenge to paint. This no doubt would not be an issue with a purchased blank as I am sure their quality control is higher than that of a free test blank)

Fun- 7 (Very little turning involved from a customers side of things. It is all finish work)

ease(how easy is it to do)- 1 to 10- That is part of the beauty of these blanks. The possibilities are ENDLESS! Especially as they come out with more designs! You can follow the simple "Spin it fast and paint the high sides" technique which looks to be super easy, to hand painted details, or Glod leaf, or etc. etc. you get the idea.

sellability- 10 (very attractive and unique pen when finished properly)

possibilities- 10 (One question.... Did you see the Rushmore blank? I rest my case)

Challenge- 1 to 10 (Again, it is strictly up to you. You could easily soak the blank with BLO four or five times and buff it and be done, or you can get ahold of a detail fine line airbrush and go nuts, or anything in between!)

Overall 9.8 ( The only drawbacks to this blank is ones own inability to execute crazy ideas and dreams that are inspired by just looking at one of these things. They are worth the time and energy just for the ideas the envoke... And the finished products i have seen are pretty snazzy too!)

And finally, My suggestions: GO FOR IT! I think everyone should consider trying one at least once. It will challenge you and lead to amazing new ideas. I do think the CA finishes are the way to go with these blanks.

Thanks for reading my review! And we will see ya on the boards!

Top Bottom