Coupons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

My wife is a coupon addict. She wanted me to make some coupon pens, so I bought one of the label molds and gave it a shot. Elegant Beauties cast in crystal clear alumilite.

couponpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Very cool! Word of warning though... Make sure the expiration dates are covered up or cut off before you cast them. :tongue::biggrin:

Oh, and the "The value of this coupon is 1/100th of a cent" part. :eek: All of us know your pens are worth at LEAST 100,000 times that. :cool:

workinforwood

Thanks. They are not one coupon. Most coupons are too big. They are a collage of coupons. I chopped up a variety of pieces and used them, so you have little pics of products, the Save money part and at least 1 barcode section.

workinforwood

Always a funny crowd..that's why I love it here! I did use the NewLondon label mold and a pressure pot. I did have some of the tubes end up with resin in them too. But, I don't find that to be any problem, especially because the mold stoppers keep the blank square to itself and no matter what at least part of the tube will not be full of resin. I just chuck the blank in the vise, and a drill bit that is just a hair small into the drill press. I do not turn on the drill press, I just pull down on the lever and any resin that is in the tube pops right out the bottom lickity split. I like it.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I did have some of the tubes end up with resin in them too.

I've had that happen if I pump up the pressure. I usually cast at 20psi, but
higher than that it can force resin into the tubes. I've also found that I
have to put a dab of silicone sealer on the bottom side of some of the
stoppers if air collects there during the cure. It can leave an opening for
resin to seep in.

and you're right, it pops right out, but one of the main reasons for making
the mold was to save on resin. Can't save much resin if it's on the inside.. :eek:

workinforwood

I've had that happen if I pump up the pressure. I usually cast at 20psi, but
higher than that it can force resin into the tubes. I've also found that I
have to put a dab of silicone sealer on the bottom side of some of the
stoppers if air collects there during the cure. It can leave an opening for
resin to seep in.

and you're right, it pops right out, but one of the main reasons for making
the mold was to save on resin. Can't save much resin if it's on the inside.. :eek:

It still saved 50% resin. I pour a single 3/4 square mold at 5.25 long it is 2.8 ounces. pouring half your mold required 2.4 ouces, which is 4 sierras, or technically 2 pens. So probably was actually a 60% saving on resin. Maybe the pressure was a bit much, I think I tagged it at 35 lbs.

Top Bottom