Could U help put this together?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

Sorry for all the questions but I have no clue how this whole set up thing work and I don't want to experiment with pressure and end up in the hospital.
In advance thanks for reading this and responding.
I guess this post can go to the 2007 files so next time someone needs to know how to put this together is there.

I got the items I needed today. Now I have a few questions putting it together.

1) To prepare the cover for use I assume I remove the long tube inside and cap the end. Should I be wrong please let me know since that is what I'm planning on doing.
2) I will cap the outlet end of the regulator and just let the inlet to connect the hose from the compressor. The regulator has a T-Handle to increase or decrease the pressure of the paint gun. Since I'm not using it for that purpose what I'm I supposed to do with it, open or close?
3) I have seen someone using a gate valve so I got one. Why and where would you use it?
4)Since I was intending to use this for vacuum as well as pressure I need to find a source to get a gauge to measures both + and - since the one supplied goes only in one direction. (Any stores that you know?) Harbor Freight, Sears, Lowes and Home Depot don't have them.
5) How do you transition from degas to pressure. Is the pump use for a while and then just release the vacuum and start the pressure? Is there a right/wrong way of doing this?

Also I got a few different trays to pour small quantities. I don't know if anyone uses the one that is to the right of the pot. I got it at Linen and Things. If it works it seems like a good way to pour 16 round tubes at once. The bottom detach from the assembly. It seems practical. Once I use it I'll report.

200731763419_P-pot-01.jpg

200731763444_P-pot-02.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

Alex, what I did on mine was: I took off the long tube that leads inside. It will come loose without you having to take the stuff off the top of the lid. I thn added a shutoff like in your picture and the appropriate connectors so that I could hook that end up to my vacuum guages/vacuum pump.

On the normal inlet side, I left the pressure guage and regulator there as those will help you regulate the correct pressure. (Just in case you had tour compressor dialed to 90 PSi for shooting nails and forgot to change back.) At the inlet, I installed another shutoff and then an air hos quick connect.

I figure when I use vacuum, I just use the shutoff on the inlet side and when I use pressure, I can just use the shutoff on the output/new vacuum side.

I will try to take a picture later if I can unbury my tank.

Mike

Fritz

I just got done setting up my pressure/vacuum system using the HF pot. It seems to be working quite well. I will post pics tonight after work.

John

Draken

See this thread for all the info you need:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17134&SearchTerms=Ace+Hardware

Plus, many of us have used the ice cube trays, they work quite well.

Cheers,
Draken

alxe24

Thank you guys for the answers.
What about the vacumm gauge any source?
Do I need the regulator or should I just put the gauge and take the reg off?
Thanks again
Alex

Fritz

You can get a vacuum gauge from Napa Auto parts for $16.99 along with several of the fittings. When I post my setup pics later today you'll see what it looks like.

Mikey

FWIW, I would check Harbor freight for a set of vacuum guages like they use for air conditioning. I bought my set (not from HF) for like $40 several years ago, so I'm sure they couldn't cost that much at HF. What is really nice is that you can use them for vacuum veneering and they have shutoff valves which makes them very convenient. (I have used my guages for vacuum veneering in addition to A/C work) Heck, a pawn shop may also have a set for cheap, especially this time of year.

alxe24

$40??? That is some money for the gauge. Anyway HF does not have them. Lowes sears and Home Depot don't carry them either. I'll try Napa.

Mikey

Originally posted by alxe24
<br />$40??? That is some money for the gauge. Anyway HF does not have them. Lowes sears and Home Depot don't carry them either. I'll try Napa.

No, not $40 for just a guage. IF you just wanted a guage, I would say $15 would do it. I was saying $40 or less for a set of guages which normally include the guages, some lines for connection and shutoffs to isolate each hose seperately. If you are only going to use the guage on the pot, then by all means buy the guage seperately. If you are going to do other work like veneering (flatwork to turners) then it may be of some value to find a set of used A/C guages.

I'm getting ready to set up the light tent for pictures. I'll pull the pot out and get some pictures.

OK, got some pictures. As you can see, I have a quick connect air hose line for the in side, and a 1/4" fitting that goes to my vacuum guages on the old output side. Only needed a few bucks in fittings.

PressurePotSmall002.jpg

PressurePotSmall001.jpg

Fritz

Alex- Here's my setup. You'll notice I removed the regulator. When using for pressure I use the regulator on my compressor and set it to not go over 50psi. I'm using a Gast vacuum pump that I was using on my vacuum press to mount art. It works quite well and the tank holds the vacuum good. I loose about 1 bar after an 1 1/2hour.

I close the the valve on the pressure side so I don't ruin the the gauge and do the same for the vacuum side. I tried using the HF (blue) Venturi pump and it worked the first time then it failed... I don't know why. Maybe something clogged.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

John

2007320133133_pot.jpg

2007320134759_valves.jpg

2007320134843_back.jpg

alxe24

Thank you guys a lot for your great photos and feed back. I got the gauges today at granger. Also I bought the fitings. wrong but I got them now [:D][:D]
Againg thanks to all of you. I hope I can use it soon.
Alex

CaptG

John, thanks for the pics, my pressure/vacuum pot came in yesterday. The timung is good. Nice looking pens on the corner of the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom