Cocobolo and endgrain BOW fat slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dmadis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmadis

First BOW pen, segmented with cocobolo. Ended up with a mystical figure on the BOW. I like the color combination, not sure about the shape.
bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

your right about the shape. I dont care for it. I do like the color combination though. and that eerie effect from the BOW is great.

You migh try doing an ebony CB with a flut or bead in it to eliminate or lessen the wasp waist that it has.

Dean
Columbus OH

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've never seen either wood show like this. The shape is a bit exaggerated for me, but I have a smallish hand. Glue-ups look good and tight. The nib end looks just a little proud of the black chrome, but that may be camera deception (as others have noted on other pictures). A very nice job!

Tom McMillan

Darrell---Interesting pen---I do think it shows off the wood great---but, I think I'd like it better if the bottom barrel was shaped closer to the sizing of the top barrel. Great job of the glue up and turning!!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Interesting color combination, but I think the use of a modified slimline does not do it justice...
I think that would have really been fantastic on a larger pen.. like a Cigar or a DT Euro... something with more body to it..
The laminations are right on... nice work..

dmadis

Thanks for the comments. The inch and a half piece of BOW was drilled and glued onto the middle of a tube. The drill had wandered badly so I used a parting tool to square off the ends, then glued on the cocobolo pieces.
The BOW sure cuts nicely, it produces curls even cutting endgrain--seems to me other woods cut endgrain produce chips rather than curls.

dougle40

I agree on the shape , not to my liking but still a real good job on the laminations . That Cocobolo looks an awful lot more like some Paduk that I've got rather than Cocobolo even down to the open grain ????

dmadis

I was assuming it was cocobolo without the streaking I've seen in other examples (wood is actually less red than it shows in the photo--more orangeish). Also assumed it wouldn't be padauk because the wood came from a thrift store as part of a laminated cutting board, & I always thought padauk was much more expensive than coco, so unlikely to be in a cutting board.
The wood really has open grain, larger pores than walnut.

ilikewood

I deal in Cocobolo, and that is not it. I would have to say it is Padauk as the large open grain is a give away. I do like the color combo and I think it has potential. Good job.

tipusnr

Wasn't that pen featured in the first "Ghostbusters" movie? No wait...that was the Sta-puff marshmallow man..sorry.

Really though - good work on the pen despite it's largess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom