Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Another Cigar pen made from Olivewood and finished with friction polish. I've sold 3 of these in the last two weeks and I've had several people show interest in the Olivewood. It's one of my favorite woods too and I love turning it. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome!

CigarPenBetOlive.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
R.T.

It's a beautiful pen! Do you do anything to dry the wood before you turn it? Or, do you use a larger drill bit? If not, have you had any problems with cracking?

I have some BOW blanks, but I am afraid to turn them. ANY advice would be appreciated.
[:)]

gpadgham

Ed,
I've made plenty of BOW pens in the past, and I haven't had a single one crack on me. I'm not sure if thats because of how I finish the pens, or if I've just been lucky. I finish my pens with CA, and buff them to a good shine, but one thing that I ususaly do, that I have not seen as a SOP in many pen making processes I've heard of, is that after I use the pen mill to mill down the ends to the brass tube, I usually put on 2 layers of thin CA to seal the ends as well. Then mount up on lathe and turn.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerrit,

Thanks for the tip, I will try turning a couple next week. (Big weekend show, getting booth ready-art glass only-no time this week).

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments!

Ed, I've never had a problem with Olivewood cracking and I don't do anything special to the blank. But I use a pin type moisture meter and check all my blanks. I like them to have a MC of at least 10 to 12% but have turned them when it was 14% and didn't have any problems. Sometimes wood will crack no matter what the MC is. Just the nature of the beast I guess. If your worried, try turning a few and let them set for a couple weeks and see what happens before you assemble them. Good Luck!

woodscavenger

Mine didn't have enough dark grain to get away with the black chrome. Yours looks good. I have done a couple of BOW and I just can't seem to get a great shine like I can with other woods but it does turn nicely.

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments!

WS, I know what you mean about the lack of dark grain. I have about 20 BOW blanks left and I bet only 4 or 5 real good ones. I might glue a bunch of them together and make a desk pen holder or something with it. I love Olivewood but without the nice grain it starts to look like pine. [V]

Fleabit

I turned my first BOW this week....love the wood, the smell is great from drilling to turning....good job on the cigar. The fit is excellent and the grain on the wood stands out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom