Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Cigar pen made from Osage Orange and finished with friction polish. I've not worked with this wood before and it really doesn't do much for me, just not enough grain/detail to it. Is this a norm for this wood or did I just get a blah piece of it?

CigarPenOsageOrange.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Man RT, after burning you the last few times,
I really wanted to be nice [:eek:)]
Doesn't do nothin for me either [V]
But hey, I still love that purple cigar [:p]

Ligget

If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. I like it RT, I have ordered some 24k cigar kits from Sheila at P of C to start with, never turned nothing except slimlines yet.

swm6500

R.T. I think you got a piece of Osage Orange that does not do the wood justice. I have seen some pretty nice Osage Orange. Still it is a nice looking pen.

Fleabit

I agree with you on this pen...a little plain to look at, but you did an outstanding job on the fit and finish. Overall, it is a nice pen.

Kevin M

R.T., I also think you have gotten a piece of plain OO going on there. I have turned several OO's and really like them but cut on on angle to release their inner beauty. I tried cross cutting but they like to crack, more of a bias cut seems to work better. Look in my album if you like for some ideas of OO.

WoodChucker

Thanks Kevin! You must be right because after looking at your OO it sure looks much better then mine. This looks more like yellow-heart then your Osage Orange.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
R.T., unless you can find a real tight grained piece of Osage that has been angle cut the grain is going to be dull... however if you can a piece like I described the difference is night and day... osage will also age to a deeper orange brown from exposure to sunlight...
If you can find some black locust that is tight grained you will some some really interesting yellow gold wood, it has a natural chatoyance that sparkles in the sunlight, almost like golden flecks embedded in the wood.. I made one from Mike when he was here on Saturday...
Finding tight grained osage or locust is not easy, but it is out there... in fact I would bet some of our Texans or Okies would have some around... it is a real common wood down there.. and since it grows slower will most likely be tight grained, unlike the stuff that grows up north..

WoodChucker

Thanks Tom, I appreciate all the info! I had a feeling it was something like that. I guess we get our good and bad in just about any wood, just need to learn how to spot it and then make the best of it. [:)]

Fisherman

R.T. Osage orange when left out in the sun will trun to a really nice shade of brown in places. While it doesn't have a lot of grain it is a beautiful wood. Take a piece and set it outside in the sun. Fisherman

MDWine

The color is very similar to the Black Locust pen Tom did with me. I like the yellow color of the wood a lot! Tom used a satin gold kit, but the black looks good too!

Nice work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom