Chubby slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wicook

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicook

I got brave today and decided to follow the example of a couple of other folks who've escaped the confines of the slimline kits. This one has a bit of a fit problem at the junction of the upper and lower barrels that I didn't notice till it was together. The barrels are not perfectly round, so there's a few thousandths of an inch ridge that shows up when the pen is twisted. [xx(] Oh well, next time I'll use my skew on both sides of the junction to make an additional groove so that won't be so noticeable. :)

0053532741_Chubby%20Slimline%20-%20Becky%20M%20400.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Very nice looking pen, Bill. Another option for you when you decide not to use a centerband is to remove the center bushing when you take the blank down to final size and sand.

dougle40

Good looking pen Bill. If you do what Lou said it'll make the turning much more even . That's what I had to do with the very first pen I ever turned , a Mont Blanc and I messed up turning the recess for the CB and ended up turning a straight MB pen instead .

20053542252_First%20pen%20001%20sm.jpg

wicook

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. The wood is an unknown from a cutoff bin. I think it's some variety of mahogany, but I'm not certain. I remember reading either here or in the Yahoo group that when not using a centreband, it's best to turn to almost final diameter, then make a quarter-rotation of one of the blanks, turn a bit more, then do it again to get a better match. Next time...

Tropical

Nice looking pen. I don't really like the slimlines on account of their "slimness" but your pen has changed my opinion.

Chuck C

Nice looking pen Bill. It gives the slimline another dimension. Sure is a lot of good input and information on this thread for beginners like me. It looks to me that if you tried to do that with a pencil kit you would have to find some way of making up the difference of the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom