Christmas tree "saga"...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

About middle of last year, I manage to get permission to cut a Christmas tree (as they call it here in Australia) that died all of a certain, after 40 years of perfect health. While I, and the owners believe the tree rapid death was not natural, the tree was also in a bad stop as, when it was planted by the presents owners mother (still alive at 86), she eye balled the boundary line (no fence, then) and for some reason, that tree was planted outside of it, just about 50cm or less (seen in the pics).

About 6 years ago, the fence was finally erected and that's when the problem was noticed, putting this tree outside of this person's property, making it Council property and in public access but, in no way, in a way of anything or anyone so, we wonder who would poison (as we believe) the tree.

The tree has been dead for about one year, as was obvious that it was deteriorating quite rapidly also so, and because I never had this type of tree/wood species to work with before, I tried multiples times to contact the "owner" but, every time I went that way to knock at the main gate, no one was ever home so, I kept trying until one day, I caught a young kid going through that gate so, and through him I manage to make contact with those that could tell me what the tree situation was.

Great people, very friendly and social, of Italian background as I found out when I was to meet the old lady that planted that tree and that, made sure I understood how much that tree meant to her, and also to her daughter, as the tree was planted when he only daughter was born.
Very religious people, but very nice to be around...!

They were all upset because the tree has been killed by someone (according to our suspicions/believe), and also said that the tree was breaking apart fast, possibly being attacked by termites and or other wood eating creatures, but that turn out not to be when I processed the wood.

I explained why I was interested in the tree/wood and that, I usually make "something" out of the wood given and offer it as a thank you gift in return so, they were all pleased that I was interested in salvaging as much of the wood as possible, and at the same time, remove the tree myself, voiding something that they were concerned about and that was, the council tree guys have it cut/chipped and possibly send the bill to them as anyone knew that was their tree, planted there by mistake...!

When I asked what they would like turned out from that wood, she asked me if I could make 4 small crucifixes to hang in the wall, one for her Mum, one for her and 2 for each one of their 2 kids...!

Despite the tree being dead and the wood looked dry, the resin inside the wood and knots was a lot worse that any of conifer tree species I worked with as it kept bleeding out.
After a few months of being slice into some boards for the crucifixes and a couple of logs from the branches junctions (similar to the Norfolk Pine knot structure...!) I decide to get those gifts done and also a surprise gift that I wanted to offer her, made from one of those knotted logs.

Even tough the tree was 42 years old (as I find out...!:eek::biggrin:) it was quite small, most of the best wood was in fact, the top half so the logs diameter were quite small(ish) but big enough to produce a nice piece where I tried to show the knots as the main feature, as the colours were just out of this world.

Again, the wood showing its "bad" temperament when I rough turn it to close shape and size, coating it with Fungishield and put it a side for a few weeks but within a couple of days, this piece cracked all over beyond believe, the neck had 4 large splits, one was a good 1/4" open...!:eek:

I was not sure if I would make it firewood or save it, even tough, it would require some "major" work...!'
I started by tying a wire all around the neck, voiding any further splitting and try to close the ones already there, as much as possible. It took me 3 goes to get it to the point where the neck and foot gaps wouldn't close any further, while all other cracks did what they wanted to do but some how, tying the piece top and bottom has restricted the other cracks considerably...!

When was time for the to finish it, I knew that, unless I would keep that neck restrained, it would open like a bloom flower so, I decided to use some very thin wire to wrap around the neck and foot, and some how do it in such way that would look alright...! The solution for all the cracks on piece body and also on the tighten areas where, gaps were still quite visible, I decided to use the cracks and the wire repairs as a secondary feature of the piece by, carving the cracks deeper and wider and also create a few extra grooves to match or make it look more symmetrical in its appearance.

Using a purple Pearlex powder and some epoxy, I filled the grooves/cracks and also the groves for the wire but on the neck, it was already too thin for grooving so I used the mix to cover and created a ring...!

Got the strips of wood for the crucifixes done, recess them a glued them up but when I dried, I decided to dress it a bit with some bandsaw cuts and a little carving so, when all sanded and clean, I coated the whole thing with the Floorseal.

Some of the pics attached are just a couple of days after they were finished but I decided to put everything a side for a couple of weeks so that the varnish would cure/harden properly then, I could go and surprise these people.

In fact, I was the one that endup with the surprise when, I decided to get them out and prepare myself for a drive, as all crucifixes and knotted piece were spoiled by the resin, still in the wood...!:mad::frown:

From the present pics, you can see what I mean so, I got quite annoyed that I have to do it all again but this time I need to "burn" the wood so that the open flame melts the resin out of the wood and knots. This however, should have been done before the wood was turned or dressed so the chances are that, the whole thing will be spoiled beyond repair once and for all, now that the epoxy is glued to it.

There are other ways to bleed the resin out of these type of woods but, some methods are not applicable the way these pieces are now, or it would cost a lot of money to get the equipment to force the resin out.

Time will do it but I may have to wait another 40 years before the resin solidifies and or transform so, I may have to do another set of 4 crucifixes but I will not be doing another piece out of this wood, not for a while...!:redface:

So much for trying to do a good deed, huh...???

Glad that this doesn't happen too often...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 101_0926_(1).jpg
    101_0926_(1).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 101_1110_(1).jpg
    101_1110_(1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 101_1114_(1).jpg
    101_1114_(1).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 101_1113_(1).jpg
    101_1113_(1).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 101_1649.JPG
    101_1649.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 101_1648.JPG
    101_1648.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 101_1583_(1).JPG
    101_1583_(1).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 101_1584 (800x600).jpg
    101_1584 (800x600).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 101_1585 (800x600).jpg
    101_1585 (800x600).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 024d.jpg
    024d.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

Wow, an amazing amount of work, and the bowl is especially beautiful, I think. You are extremely generous with your time. I love the fill-ins that you did with the grooves and cracks.

Better luck on getting the final finish the way you want, but it already looks great to me!

robutacion

Wow, an amazing amount of work, and the bowl is especially beautiful, I think. You are extremely generous with your time. I love the fill-ins that you did with the grooves and cracks.

Better luck on getting the final finish the way you want, but it already looks great to me!

Thanks mate but, if you look carefully at the last pic, you see that the finish is no longer as pretty as the previous pics that were taken not long after the final coat. The bowl is all sticky and dripping on the knots, no varnish will seal that until the resin is all bleed out, the one way or the other (torch...!:eek:):biggrin:

nativewoode,
That is a question that I don't have the answer, even tough I searched under the name people call them up here "Christmas tree" and I went through dozens of pics of "conifers" but I couldn't find any that looked similar to this one before it died.

I should be able to get an answer tough, as I now where 2 other trees (very alive) are, on someone front gardens so they were planted and cared for, let see if next time I drive in that area, I find someone home and, if I'm lucky to get the person that planted them and not the person that bought the property afterwards, having not a clue what tree they bought with the property, as this is 99% the case...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Have you tried dropping them into a pot of boiling water to loosen up the resin? Might work to fix the crucifixes.

No, I did not, and I would have my doubts that the hot water would fix the problem, and the reason why is that, when I touch the soft resin with my fingers, hot water from the tap wouldn't remove or even touch this stuff, as I come to the house and forgot to wash my hands with petrol (gasoline) which is the best thing to remove it from your hands but, not the best thing to use in the timber as will make it oily and difficult to coat with varnish or most finishes, reason why I mention acetone or even thinners...!

In the old days, a lot of this type wood was used in the construction of doors, windows, etc. and the very first thing we would do was to use those old petrol torches to "burn" the wood surface and gee the excess resin out as some resin was good to preserve the wood, reason why many of those structures are still solid after 100 years and more.

Is easy to do before the wood is coated with anything, the "burning" is nothing more than expose the wood to localised heat from the petrol torch, particularly around knots, forcing the resin out which is then scraped with a spatula.

After this done, the wood is then sanded back removing any of the brown/dark burn marks in the wood surface and then prepared for whatever the kind of finish one wants to put on them, most were finished with gloss enamel...!

I will get around to fix it but, I was not expecting (not aware) that this type tree, was so bad for resin bleeding...!

Cheers
George

David Keller

That's too bad, George… I hate pine and all things related to pine for the purposes of turning. That sticky sap is miserable on tools, hands, and hair! I love the contrast of the purple resin on that piece.

robutacion

That's too bad, George… I hate pine and all things related to pine for the purposes of turning. That sticky sap is miserable on tools, hands, and hair! I love the contrast of the purple resin on that piece.

Thanks David,

I certainly don't share the same opinion as you, in relation to all "things pine", by the contrary, Pine has been one of my preferred woods to work ever...!

However, it is true that certain pine species produce wood with large amounts of resin, particularly at the knots. While this extra resin allows the wood to resist the elements of nature much better and for much longer, they can create havoc when trying to finish it.

The only reason that got me to this situation is/was that, not knowing the species and having the impression that the wood was almost dry and not showing any signs of resin when process, otherwise I would have burn/removed the resin as I explained previously.

There is only one other Pine species that I know have these magnificent coloured knots, the Stone Pine but, it doesn't have the resin problem...!

Live and learn...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom