Christmas Gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

kkwall

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a while, but after doing lots of craft shows etc, I have managed to start making some long overdue gifts.

This cabinet is for my dad and step mother.

It is made out of Elm, with a wytchy burr elm top (Has green tones running through it)

Forgive me for I have sinned. I actually stained the wood, as the furniture in their house is all dark, so I darkened it using dark Teak oil!

Pleased with the way it has turned out.

2007121582236_cabinet%205.jpg

2007121582250_cabinet%204.jpg

200712158231_cabinet%203.jpg

2007121582318_cabinet%202.jpg

R2

Nice result with the cabinet!:):) Is the slab of burl actually the top? If so then,IMHO, it makes the piece look top heavy and awkward. I think it could be put to better use.

kkwall

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

I kind of know what you mean with the top. But it is fairly low to the ground, and the top will be seen, and hopefully admired in the room it is placed in!

The overhang at the front gave me some doubts, but I wanted to keep the natural edge, and due to shakes and splits, I had to cut it the way I did.

Anyway, furniture is a personal taste item, and this would not be mine, but hopefully it will appeal to my dad, and step mother??

Will wait and see.

Thanks again.

mwenman

At first I thought that the item on top was a foam cushion or something. Would have to agree with R2 that it definately detratcts from the overall appearance of the piece. It just seems so bulky and awkward sitting on top like that. The chest without that burl on top speaks for itself and is a very nice piece.

As you said, furniture is a matter of personal taste and the people that you made it for may absolutely love it. Just like all art, not everybody liked Van Goh's (sp) works, but look how famous he became :)

Top Bottom