Cherry Burl Scrap Mini-Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

So I still don't have a new hand wheel for my tailstock, so there's no precision drilling which means no pen making. In the mean time, here's a little box I made out of a scrap of burl. Mark St. Leger did a demo at my turning club. he made a small box out of a burl scrap. Here's the handout: http://www.markstleger.com/Rectangular Box with a Burl Edge Handout.doc.

I decided to give it a try and here's what I ended up with. This scrap is about 1.5" wide X 1.5" tall X 5.5" long. The opening is around 0.75" in diameter. The finish is wipe on poly. It was a fun little box and I can't wait to do a few more.

This scrap had been laying on my floor for over 2 years.

Attachments

• smallbox3.jpg
    smallbox3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 341
  • smallbox2.jpg
    smallbox2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 245
  • smallbox4.jpg
    smallbox4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Great looking box! Looks like you learned a thing or two at the demo.

Mark is a fun demonstrator -- I have one of his hand chased nut&bolt sets out of ziricote.

davinci27

Yeah, I really enjoyed the demonstration. It was interesting and there were a couple of lathe made chucks that he demo'd. Makes me want to go out and cut up some perfectly good burl caps just to make little boxes.

Woodlvr

Very nice work. The link did not work for me though, got a 404 error. Was interested in seeing it though.

davinci27

Yep stayed out of trouble all week. The bad thing about this little project is I like it so much I find myself wanting to cut perfectly good burls into scraps.

davinci27

@terryf You need to tell you wife that you'll have to buy a full burl so you can cut of a scrap piece to make her one. @pr_princess Thanks. I'm excited to be turning again. I've got a couple of your transparent custom pour's already laid out and ready to go for an upcoming pen.

jbswearingen

I really like that!

Do you have a mini or full sized lathe? I can imagine it would have made a mini shake pretty badly!

davinci27

This was turned on my full size lathe, but I'm pretty sure I could have turned it on my mini. The scrap was pretty light, and by the time you rough it to size and shape, there's not much weight to make the lathe dance. Just rough it at a slow speed, then bring the speed up a little once you get some of the wood removed.

Top Bottom