Cheap disposible molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Samuel, just go to Wallyworld and get the ice cube trays that make cylinrical cubes. They make perfect 3/4" blanks every time. They cost less than $5 and they're reusable.

DWK5150

PVC pipe also works to mak blanks as well. I have used the square molds and the ice trays and also pvc pipe they all seem to work pretty good and all have a plus and minus to them.

samuel07

My thought process behind a clear material is to be able to see the PR once it is poured into the mold so you can try to swirl the different colors with a piece of wire or whatever. I wanted to keep it round so turning is easier and you use less PR.

Here is my latest concept:
I just took some clear plastic 8 1/2" X 11" sheet protectors and cut them into 6" X 4" squares. Wrapped the piece around a section of 3/4" PVC conduit and taped the outside seam with scotch tape and then one complete loop around each end, then with the pipe still wrapped with the plastic I taped one end closed. (I used aluminum duct tape because that is all I had at the moment but anything should work). I even cut the top off a 16 oz water bottle for a funnel.

When I get home tonight I will mix up a batch and try them out.
I'll post some pics.

Hopefully once the PR is cured enough I can just peel off the plastic sheet.

Wish me luck.

Fangar

Look at tap plastics. They have tons of hollow claer tubing. A 6 foot piece is under 5 dollars. If you cut it into 6" sections, that would run you about 40 cents a mold for the 1". It has a 1/16" wall, so the 1" is OD. The 3/4" would likely work for most pens even with the 1/16" wall thickness. Then just plug the ends with something. I would CA to a flat piece of sheet protector, or smiliar.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=141&

Fangar

Daniel

If those plastic test tubes are anything like I've seen around here at eh University. Cutting them off might be a painfull ordeal. the ones I've seen are very hard plastic and act a lot like glass. sharp and everything. but won't shatter as easily.

samuel07

If those plastic test tubes are anything like I've seen around here at eh University. Cutting them off might be a painfull ordeal. the ones I've seen are very hard plastic and act a lot like glass. sharp and everything. but won't shatter as easily.

I guess I better give up the test tube idea.[B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom