"Casting or not casting...? that is the question...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Some here will know that I produce lots of timbers that are perfectly suitable for casting, some are known as "worthless blanks" others as "Mutts", etc. I didn't really wanted start casting but I just can't throw those pieces away or burn them, some and due to the cracks and flaws on them, display the best colours and grain out of the whole log or even tree so I had to do something about it.

I decided to try doing them myself following the recommendation provide by Curtis, in his PDF format file with a detailed description of how to go about it, including how to make the molds. Got myself a pressure pot and all the other stuff needed and in no time I was ready to pour...! that's when my problems started (in relation to casting, off-course...!:wink:), not being in contact with these sort of chemicals (PR) for over 20 years, I didn't realize how bad of a reaction I would have, exposed to them so, as soon as I got the first batch in the pot, I started getting nasty headaches that wouldn't go away.

The next day when I open the pot, I nearly went to the Moon and back, with the vapors hitting me like a 20 pound slash hammer...!:eek: I start coughing, farting and carry on, my eyes were watering and my nose was running, wow... what in the heck was that...?? I though!:confused:
My head was trying to separate from my shoulders with pain, and I had to get out of there (the shed where I was, open door and a big gap between the shed was and the ceiling (ventilation).

After a few deep breaths I went back in, grab the 12 individual molds and come outside, still under cover but with no walls on two sides. Got the blanks out of the molds and put then to dry 10 meters away from the shed, hopping the smell would go away but it didn't, for over a week the only think I could smell was the PR curing...! I then, resized the casted blanks and decide to make another batch and see what would happen. Not a lot of difference from the first pouring experience really, so I decided that, for whatever the reason, I was getting a much worse reaction to this stuff, then I would ever expect. It should be mention that, in my early working career, I had 2 chemical intoxication from chemical vapors inhalation (a certain type of spraying sanding sealer, and rolled floor wood varnish!)

Contacted various members already casting, offering the exclusivity of my woods supply for their castings, as I didn't wanted to create a business "clash" among our friends casting members. One of those contacted did accept trying them, so I automatically rejected any other offer to supply these woods to anyone else!

I actually thought in selling all the casting gear after I finished with the resin I had, and was no shortage of interest particularly with the 12 molds and the wood tray to separate the molds inside the pressure pot, so I was satisfied that I would get some of my money invested in this operation as I had someone buying my woods for casting, I was happy that I didn't need to do them myself.

The attempt to have my woods used by this casting friend, didn't really work as we both expected so, was obvious that it would be a long time if ever before this friend would run out of the 20kg of timbers supplied, and in a conversation we both had, this was obvious. I was suggested for to sell them to anyone (another major casting member) that wanted to use it, was no need to keep the "exclusivity", which I accepted as reasonable.

In conversation with someone living in this town, I was told of a fellow that did work in a fibro-glass factory, the factory closed some time ago and this fellow lost his job so, I went and saw him. Was evident this fellow (John) wasn't a very healthy person, his face was as dry as a bone and he looked 20 year older than what he was (47). After a short conversation he accepted to do all my castings at his place, I would supply everything and give him an idea what I wanted to have done.

Once again I was satisfied that I had someone doing this for me, someone that spend 25 years working with these type products. Once a week I would visit him and get what was done at least one week prior as I found that the first few days of the blanks coming out of the pot, the smell is a lot stronger.
He made me about 200 blanks and a few weeks ago is just passed away with a massive heart attack...!:frown: poor John!

Got all my gear back, paid what was owed to the wife (no kids) and went home a bit distressed with all this. Recently I decided to get myself a good chemical mask (double crystal filters) and start to do them myself as the wood was start pilling up a lot more than I wanted. The mask does seem to do a good job (expensive but efficient), and the sensitivity to the lightest of the PR smells, seems also to be improving.

A few days ago I decided to make new molds to make things a bit easier and faster, using a lot less resin (wasting less), and increase the run (pot capacity) of blanks done, from 12 to 21 (blanks @ 21mm square x 130mm long). I wanted to show everyone that wants to do casting or are already playing with it that, these newer molds will make the casting per blank more economical.

I will start to list here and on eBay very soon of my casted blanks, and with all due respect to all that invented the names for the casted blanks and sells them, well know here and elsewhere, I don't particularly like the name of "worthless" (sorry Curtis!) as I don't like to call "left overs" to the off-cuts I get from initial cuttings either, so my casted blanks, regardless if they are 1%, 50% or 99% resin/wood, will be called, "RESIFILL" blanks, and will be supplied with the four square corner cut out!:wink::biggrin: Not to mention that most of the woods used are not found in any other casted blank anywhere in the world, and anyone that wants to cast and don't have the wood blanks, I will sell you as much as you want/can afford and sent anywhere...!:eek:

I would gladly stop casting myself, but unless I sell this type of woods, regularly and in reasonable amounts, I will be casting more and more to catch up with the volume of suitable timber I got stored. There is obviously the extra expense of all the colours other materials and accessories, like plenty of acetone, and off-course the main ingredient the PR resin with catalizer. A 1 gallon of resin just doesn't last long but I get a fair number of blanks done!

My intention with this extra work I'm doing now is to firstly, recover whatever the blank sale price I would sell if was not "flawed" in some way, secondly recover the expense involved with all the casting products by calculating on average on many blanks I make out of a gallon of resin, adding and equal amount for all the colours, filling/effect powders, acetone, demolding agents, containers, mixers, gloves, etc., etc., etc., $1 each for labor, 10ct each for electricity and 10ct each for equipment investment. This has come to a grand total of $...!, well...that will be reveled the day I put the first groups on sale at proper forum location. The only variation in prices are the different costs for the few timber species that are a little more expensive than my normal $1 per blank. The price per blank itself will be the same if sold as a full wood pen blank, PLUS the casting costs already determine by constant testing, explained above!
Don't worry, my Resifill blanks will be "surprisingly" economical...! promise.:wink:

Update completed.
Now here they are, a "few":eek: pics..! Yes..., it did happen...!:)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 001_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 001_(1).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 236
  • timber preparation 005_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 005_(1).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 253
  • timber preparation 006_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 006_(1).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 246
  • timber preparation 007_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 007_(1).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 255
  • timber preparation 002_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 002_(1).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 272
  • timber preparation 1641_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1641_(1).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 299
  • timber preparation 1295_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1295_(1).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 273
  • timber preparation 1292_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1292_(1).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 289
  • timber preparation 1290_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1290_(1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 410
  • timber preparation 008_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 008_(1).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 244
  • timber preparation 1645_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1645_(1).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 265
  • timber preparation 1651_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1651_(1).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 187
  • timber preparation 1652_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1652_(1).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 184
  • timber preparation 1653_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1653_(1).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 180
  • timber preparation 1655_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1655_(1).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 274
  • timber preparation 1657_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1657_(1).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 264
  • timber preparation 1659_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1659_(1).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Wow, that's quite a set up you've got for casting. I agree with the sentiment about the "worthless" tag... maybe worthwhile blanks would be a better description.

Looking forward to seeing some "finished" products in the classifieds.

Karin Voorhis

That's a great story!! Wow looks good too. So do I undrstand that you will be selling these only on eBay??? You going to share a link or offer here too??

wood-of-1kind

Hello George,

that is indeed an "ambitious" project that you have on the GO. What I found with "cutting" the PR blanks is that it quickly "gummed" and "dulled" my 3/4" bandsaw blade. Do you have such an issue with your blade? If not, what type (TPI) blade is working out well for you?

robutacion

He peoples,

The waiting time is nearly over, tomorrow a dedicated thread will be open on the Business classifieds, with the introduction of the first George's "Resifill" pen blanks for sale. There a few out there that I gave as a freebie on some larger orders, and those were the very first batch I've done, but these ones are the first I put for sale.

Most of those I have made at the moment, were put together by the new friend John, now deceased, the last 60 or so I've done them recently.

And no Karin, if you read the paragraft that says "I will start to list here and on eBay very soon, my casted blanks...,!"
you will see that I'm always giving the priority to the IAP members, many stuff I list here, never makes it to eBay...!:biggrin: so, don't worry you will have plenty to chose from...!:wink:

wood-of-1kind, answering your question, I have notice that cutting the blanks too early (not hard enough trough) does gum the blade quite badly, while if you live it too late (too dry) doesn't gum but, dulls blades very fast.

Is best to use a narrow blade, as the more width you have in your blade the more contact it will have with the gummy stuff , making the bandsaw noisy and vibrating. Another problem with the gummy stuff which is PR not cured, in excess on the blade is that the bearings get a "flogin" and more importantly both wheels (grip rubbers) get covered with that resin that together with the saw dust will create a rough and uneven surface for the blade to spin on, if you use hight tension on you blades, the chances are the blade will snap, as the diameter of the wheel have all of a certain increased considerably, and most blades already tensioned to the max, will not cope...!

I have tried a variety of blades brand, sizes and TPI's on my 16" bandsaw and I'm getting the best results using the 12mm x 3 TPI carbon for these type of cuts, the same size blade in by-metal doesn't dull as fast but it will gum the same as the carbon. I would prefer to use by-metal all the time, as the carbon ones are only rated to last a max. of 15 hours of moderate use, when the by-metal are rated to 50 hours but, the price difference here is either AU$16.50 for one of these carbon blades or $52.00 for a by-metal one, and I had by-metal blades in 40mm wide 3 to 5 TPI twice as thick as the normal ones to snap on me, just after a few hours of heavy use so and at a price tag of AU$70++ the extra quality in the blade's teeth didn't made any difference in its working time, if I use a AU$16.50 blade for that same heavy work, I can get as much working time if not more, and the replacement doesn't hurt as much...!:eek:

OK, now the second lot of good news about those Resifill blanks of mine;

I decided to have a uniform price for all blanks, regardless if they are made of my most expensive woods or not, this also apply if the blanks have 1%, 50% or 99% resin. All blanks advertised as Resifill's, mean that they have been trough the entire process of casting, including the normal wastage each blank produce regardless how much resin went in...!:wink:

The George's Resifill pen blanks, approx. 20mm max. diameter with the 4 square corners removed x 130mm long, will sell until further notice for the price of AU$3.50 EACH.

Postage air-mail to USA and Canada will be AU$15.30 for 10 (ten) blanks or AU$27.30 for 20 (twenty) blanks. For UK and other locations, please contact me for prices.

That is possible that some small modifications will be required to fit 10 or 20 blanks, if all blanks selected are the heavier woods, the tests done with Olive wood (one of the heaviest), show that a blank left square (with the 4 corners) would weight 60gr each, the removal of the 4 corners has drop that weight to 50gr on that same blank. I will expect that in the groups selection, the selected blanks will be a mix of various woods including the lighter woods, making the average of the 10 blanks to be inside of the 500gr including the box, or the 20 blanks for 1kg including also the box. Hope this makes sense...!:confused::wink:

Please, do not make any orders in this thread, this has been only an introduction to the George's Resifill blanks and some explanations that I feel, pertinent to the subject. The appropriate thread for ordering will be only open tomorrow, in the Business classifieds and it will be titled, "George's Resifill pen blanks"!

Now, just a little "teaser" pic...!!! According to me Pointer pet dog (bottom left on the pic) he reckons, they are all inspected and ready to go...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1679_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1679_(1).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Hey, George, good stuff that you are showing in the picture. Looks like your dog has a "good nose" for some very pretty blanks.

Thanks for answering the question regarding bandsaw blades for cutting PR. Good luck and may you prosper with selling your WORTHSOME blanks.:)

robutacion

Hi everyone

Just in case some of you haven't notice, the sale of my Resifill blanks was open here

I have also noticed that since I open that thread, only one person has posted, in this case a large order but that is not my point, the point is that you don't have to buy any to post something, with the variety of blanks shown, I would appreciated some input on what I got there, good or bad...!:wink:

Now that I'm resorted to do them all myself, I would like to know which type wood and colours you people like the most, either sold or not. I have so many other cuts and woods that I never saw casted in resin (any colour), and those will be done as I go and without any pre-plan of colours or effects, obviously, if I never done them before, would be extremely difficult to determine which colours would work the best. I suppose, that is probably the fun part of all this, to see how they come out when finished...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom