Casting is like a box of chocolates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

With apologies to Forest Gump .... you just never know what you are going to get when you cast PR.
Having done a cast using four different colors, I ended up with a little bit of three colors left over. I keep some pvc tubes ready for the extra. The rod on top is the same as the one used on the pen.
I turned the first blank down to size and when it stopped spinning I couldn't believe what it looked like! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4860med.jpg
    IMG_4860med.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 557
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I thought you were gonna say "it's all full of the pieces people bit
and spit back in the box"

Neat looking blank..

Lenny

Thanks for the comments! :)
I almost didn't even attempt to turn this one. The photo actually makes the unturned rod look better than it looks in person. I really thought it was going to be a very plain, if not downright ugly, blank! :eek:

I feel a need to do some more casting!!! :):wink:

Rick P

Wow thats great! I get more intrigued by casting every time one of the guys who does it posts a pic......neat Stuff!

Lenny

Wow thats great! I get more intrigued by casting every time one of the guys who does it posts a pic......neat Stuff!

And it's not as difficult as you might think.

A Gallon of Silmar41, a few mica pigmants from Coastal Scents (or if your lucky enough to have a hobby store nearby, some PearlX), a home made mould from silicone or a plastic cutting board ... or even a dollar store plastic storage container ...

It's not hard to get started ..... ju$t hard to $top once your under the $pell !!! :eek::biggrin::)

Rick P

Getting the stuff is going to be the tricky part. The stuff has to be sent ground shipping so it's about a 6 week wait and double the cost. Clear polly resine isn't an issue, use it regularly for kayak repairs it's the pigments that are the rub. Next time I make the drive to Anchorage I'm going to stop by west coast marine and see what they have as well........seems like they had some funky pigments.

Rick P

Just looked at Coastal scents and thought you had lost it for a moment........thats just Mica powder that will ship without restrictions.

ctubbs

Talk about the "Ugly Duckling" coming to life! WOW! Whod-a-thunk-it? That one is a winner. Congratulations.
Charles

Rick P

Seems there is an art suply shop in anchorage that has PearlX.......gotta get the boy new rain gear, need a welding blanket. Might be just the way to spend a sunday with the family.:wink:

Lenny

Seems there is an art suply shop in anchorage that has PearlX.......gotta get the boy new rain gear, need a welding blanket. Might be just the way to spend a sunday with the family.:wink:

Don't you just LOVE "family time"!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Rick P

So we just got back from our town run, little surprised how much we spent but we kept it under $100 and I got a bunch of cool stuff! We are going to let our 4 year old go to sleep then Momma and I are going to play in the shop a bit.:biggrin:

LeeR

Yes, Saturn, Roadster, it goes by many names I think.

Most commonly seen as the "Streamline". That was my first pen kit when I started turning last Fall, and still my favorite 7mm pen.

Very beautiful blank, Lenny. I've not done any casting, but your comment on PVC intrigued me. Does the blank slide out easily, or do you use some type of mold release? I suppose you could run thru a table saw set to have the blade just cut the PVC, and make cuts on either side to pop it off.

Inquiring minds want to know!

robutacion

With apologies to Forest Gump .... you just never know what you are going to get when you cast PR.
Having done a cast using four different colors, I ended up with a little bit of three colors left over. I keep some pvc tubes ready for the extra. The rod on top is the same as the one used on the pen.
I turned the first blank down to size and when it stopped spinning I couldn't believe what it looked like! :)

Absolutely, Lenny...!:wink:

That has been my most talked about "claim" I have been making about casting, since day one.

You case there, is very extreme indeed, and I have no problem in see why you got such a shock but, being myself a member of the club "try something different every time...!" when it comes to casting, off-course...!:eek::biggrin:, I simply enjoy too much the unknown factor with my casting system.

There is not the first time that, I get so excited and anxious about the pour I've made in the afternoon evening that I get up in the middle of the night to get it out of the pot, rap the molds in foil paper, put in the oven for 15 minutes and down to the bandsaw I go...!:eek:

I do not stop until I cut one blank out of the block and turn it into a finished sample, them, I can go and finish my sleep...!:eek::eek::eek::eek::biggrin: yeah...! I know..., it's pretty bad, huh...???

Just remember, I'm a retired fellow so, I can be in the shed all night and sleep all day, nobody cares, needer do I...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Lenny

Yes, Saturn, Roadster, it goes by many names I think.

Most commonly seen as the "Streamline". That was my first pen kit when I started turning last Fall, and still my favorite 7mm pen.

Very beautiful blank, Lenny. I've not done any casting, but your comment on PVC intrigued me. Does the blank slide out easily, or do you use some type of mold release? I suppose you could run thru a table saw set to have the blade just cut the PVC, and make cuts on either side to pop it off.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Lee, that kit is by far my best seller. I have only done craft fairs so far and "by word of mouth". :)
The pvc pipe works very well. I took a piece of scrap plywood and drilled some holes about 1/2" deep, sized for a tight fit. They slip right in and eliminate the need to plug the ends. At first I sprayed them with PAM but haven't seen a need to since. After they set up I just tap them out with a suitable sized rod (dowel or bolt) ... they come right out. :)

Lenny

Absolutely, Lenny...!:wink:

I do not stop until I cut one blank out of the block and turn it into a finished sample, them, I can go and finish my sleep...!:eek::eek::eek::eek::biggrin: yeah...! I know..., it's pretty bad, huh...???

Cheers
George

That's not bad! Sounds perfectly NORMAL to me!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Thanks George!!!

Top Bottom