Captain Eddies E-ztool video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarod888

I have heard that this video showed captain eddie's way of making an e-z tool. I have searched high and low for this video, but apparently it has been removed from youtube. Does anyone know why? Thanks in advance! Oh, and if anyone saved it when it was available I would love to watch it. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I suspect that he removed it when he started offering them for sale. Either way, there are similar videos on youtube. Maxime41418's video is pretty true to Captain Eddie's. I would recommend choosing a different insert, however, but that's just my opinion.

Jarod888

I have watched that video and it just isn't the same quality as captain eddie's are. Does anyone know of any other ones like it. Thanks!

Jarod888

Cool. Thanks for the link. I have been watching a lot of his videos on YouTube and I missed that one.

So now to ask the obvious question, what are peoples' experiences with the cutter? It seems to be really smooth, and I bet it is great for woods that tear out or are more difficult to turn.

As of late I have been doing most of my pens with a skew chisel. I usually knock the corners off with a roughing gouge and finish the rest with the skew. So far I have made about 25 pens and the last 15 or so have been w/ the skew. I am more pleased with them than the ones that were just done w/ the roughing gouge and sand paper.

jaeger

I usually use a round nose scraper all the way until the final pass or so, then I use the skew. I used to use a roughing gouge instead of the scraper. I like the scraper much better and it is SO easy to keep sharp.
Here is the kicker, when I first started turning I looked at all the sets around town. I could spend anywhere from 20 to 200 dollars for a set. I bought a set of 5 lathe chisels for 20 bucks. I use 2 of these tools mostly. The skew and the round nose scraper. I have made 100's of pens and sold 100's.
You don't have to have Sorby to make a nice pen. You have to KEEP IT SHARP!!!

P.S.
After I am done with the skew, I can "USUALLY" go right to 400 grit sandpaper.

Last edited:

KenV

I find I get a better tool finish with my skew (now that I have a lot of practice).

I use carbide for roughing and especially use Hunter cup tools for chippy cast blanks like snake skins. I use the hunter hercules tool in bevel riding mode except for working from the ends back to avoid chipping.

The carbide cutters that Eddie is selling can be used with bevel ridinging, but I find them grabby and more work than the skew.

Hogging trashy wood that may have rock or sand or .. in it, the carbide is nice. Think root blanks, and such. Some great wood in roots - Manzanita burl is all roots.

I am turning bobbins for a Kumi braider and am using the Hunter Herc, a skew and a 1/4 inch spindle gouge for all of them. The skew does the barrell that I generally start with P320 or P400 grit and go to P600 and white non woven pad. I have 50 done and another 30 to finish.

sbell111

Look for his video 105 -- that is his current version

Video 105 is an advert for radius-edged cutters (that are still super expensive compared to Global Tooling, but probably an OK deal compared to what the various carbide tool sellers want to sell you them for.)

Top Bottom