CA Finish and lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw

This is kind of a mixed topic so bear with me for a second...

I am considering buying a Jet Variable speed lathe (or even the non-variable). Right now I have a Grizzley mini with variable speed motor that spins from roughly 300 to 4700 rpm.

Talking to the tech guy at CSUSA, he left me thinking that 500 rpm was too fast to apply a CA finish. He said that even the variable speed Jet couldn't go slower than 500rpm...and the specs included in their ads verify that. [V]

So...who has a Jet, or a Fisch, or a Delta, or any other lathe that can't turn any slower than 500rpm and at the same time regularly applies a CA finsh to their pens?

Will it work? Are there special techniques?

Maybe i should look more closely at the Enduro finish?

Thoughts? tips? advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pecartus

I have a delta Midi lathe that has a 300RPM speed, I haven't tried it out with CA, so I can't help you there, the only thing I don't like with the Delta, is the live center point is made from cast metal and doesnt hold up well and does tend to lead to more vibration on the tailstock end. I did buy a Oneway live center contraption and it has settled the vibration problem at the tailstock. Overall the Midi does a good steady job.

Rudy Vey

DW,

my Nova Mercury Mini Lathe has three speed ranges with the slowest being 140 RPM, the next range starts at about 300 RPM and the lowest speed in the High Speed range is 470 RPM. Woodcraft used to sell these, but they have dropped them not too long ago. Teknatool in NZ
was going to find a new distributor here in the US, I would contact them via e-mail and ask them directly.

BTW: this is the absolute best lathe in the $ 300 price range and was for a long time the only one with variable speed.

Rudy

pecartus

DW;

I need to rescinfd my statement regarding the Delta, it runs at 500, but my Sears 12" variable runs at 300 RPM, I believe the manufacturer for the sears is Sherline, sorry, just got the two confused, I have 3 lathes in my shop for various work I do. I apologize for giving you the wrong speeds on the delta.

walnutwizard

DW,

I guess I'll answer you here and get one step closer to my star[:D]. My shopsmith has a low speed of 700rpm and I don't have any problems. Anyone else use a shopsmith?

Randall

dw

Rudy,

I looked hard at the Mercury. I can't remember the swing, but I think it's less than the Jet's 10". I'd like to fool around with bowls now and again and I've heard people say that the outboard function on the Mercury isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I guess I'd take another look if Woodcraft were still selling them.

When I do a CA finish, I'm using thin CA, and at 300 rpm, there doesn't seem to be any significant "sling." When I asked the tech guy at CSUSA what he suggested in order to do a CA finish if the 500rpm of the Jet was going to be too fast, he said that some guys he knew rigged up something with a drill. Truth to tell, I was to shocked by the very thought of not being able to do a CA finish on the Jet, I guess I kind of hung up on the poor fellow fairly abruptly. I mean I said goodbye but I was really taken aback.

anyway...

Daniel

My no name lathe (post tool some twelve years ago) has a min speed of 700 R.P.M. and I have no problem doing a CA finish. ut I keep the wax paper right on the CA. in fact the paper is there before I start applying the CA.

fmunday

Talking to the tech guy at CSUSA, he left me thinking that 500 rpm was too fast to apply a CA finish. He said that even the variable speed Jet couldn't go slower than 500rpm...and the specs included in their ads verify that. [V]

So...who has a Jet, or a Fisch, or a Delta, or any other lathe that can't turn any slower than 500rpm and at the same time regularly applies a CA finsh to their pens?
DW,
For what it's worth (which probably ain't much [:)] ), I have a Jet Mini that is not Variable Speed. It only goes down to 500 RPM but I don't find that to be a problem. I do a BLO/CA finish with the lathe running at 3975 rpm! The only time I get any CA sling is when I've been too zealous with the CA or I'm using thick CA. Medium works just fine. Thick will but you have to be too careful. Haven't tried thin with this process. I also eliminate a step or two that harken back to flat wood projects. I've been working on some very old, dry and porous Walnut and I'm getting glass smooth finishes. The FP picture I put up is one of the pens that I had been working on. The picture doesn't show it but it is a glass smooth finish turned at high speed. Before you replace your lathe, you might want to give one of the other CA finish techniques a try. You might find one that works for you and saves you $$$ in the process.[:)]

dw

Anyone have the Fisch TC90-100? I am looking at it seriously. I think I can get this lathe pretty reasonably. How does it compare to the Jet?

Thanks for all the reassurance on CA finishes at 500rpm, BTW.

Scott

Hi DW,

I think the Fisch is a decent little lathe. There is at least one well respected penturner that uses one. Let me see if I can get him to E-Mail you about it. Berea Hardwoods is selling them now, from what I hear.

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom