CA cracking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I did a search for this but when you enter CA in the search you get thousands of pages no related to my question. :)

I recently did a pen with a nice CA finish. After a couple of days I noticed really fine scratches. After closer examination these turn our to be cracks in the CA finish. I used the Mercury thin flexible for this pen and I am not very fond of it. I think the Cracking is due to the layers not curing fully before the next layer is applied. This CA seems to stay "soft" even after spraying with accelerator.

The entire pen is now covered with micro cracks. I will need to disassemble and re do this finish. What are your experiences for causing these cracks?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

What accelerator did you use? I've had issue's with cracking using accelerator from Woodcraft. Apparently the acetone level in it causes cracking. The pens were perfect, and then next day, shattered glass.

Dehn0045

I used BSI thin and medium for my first 100 or so pens. No major issues, but decided to try Mercury Flex based on the reviews. I've had nothing but trouble since. Most of my issue is with sanding through, but I did notice a pen that has the same issues that you describe. I think I was going too fast between coats because I was getting frustrated by repeatedly sanding through the finish. I know the problem is my technique and not the CA, but given the trouble that I've had I think I'm going to toss the Flex and go back to the regular BSI...

Top Bottom