Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Someone here makes bushings to turn between centers, where can I get them. Also I assume I need a #2mt dead center than also?

I have been using mandrals butthe barrels are not quite round all the time. My concern is between cutting and sanding I ware the bushings down in a couple of pens. Am I doing something wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drjpawlus

Hey Jason,
Johnnycnc makes all the bushings himself, they are great. His site is mentioned in the previous reply. He has helped me a lot as far as turning between centers. I would definitely talk to him about the wear issue, as you should be getting far more turns than that from them. I will defer to his expertise on the matter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Someone here makes bushings to turn between centers, where can I get them. Also I assume I need a #2mt dead center than also?

I have been using mandrals butthe barrels are not quite round all the time. My concern is between cutting and sanding I ware the bushings down in a couple of pens. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes.

IF you are sanding the bushings, Johnny's bushings will only help for your first few pens. Get a caliper and measure the PARTS you want to match, check your OD with the caliper. After you get used to doing this, THEN get Johnny's bushings. They will live long and prosper, as will your pen making career.:biggrin::biggrin:

jkeithrussell

I have some of johnnycnc's bushings that have been used on 50 or more pens and have not worn down an iota. And I sand all over them.

johnnycnc

Jason, I regret being out of Cigar bushings.
It will be a few weeks before they are back in stock.
You can experiment with your factory bushings between centers in the meantime.
This is how I started the journey to where I'm at now, and for me at least, it was an improvement over the mandrel. just not nearly enough to satisfy me though.
Your problems are not all in the mandrel, some of it is the quality of fit of the bushings you are using.
My experience with Cigar bushings made in taiwan is that they are very loose in the tubes. This allows the tubed blank to float center when you snug everything, and makes the finish barrels off center to the kit.
Make sure your blank ends are square to the inside of tubes also.
Your package is on the way.:biggrin:

Top Bottom